Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 7th/8th Storm Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

1 minute ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

Latest HRRR still have 4" back to I-91 in CT...and that's with 10:1. Of course it was terrible yesterday morning...but hopefully performs better today. I do wonder if the ragged look of the western edge in the MId Atlantic translates up here...because I would expect to see some screw zones in that case.

My personal call for CT is 1-3" west of I-91, 3-6" between 91 & the river...and 5-9" east of the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The distance between 91 snd the river is less than a mile in some parts of NCT that would be a narrow swath in those areas.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

Latest HRRR still have 4" back to I-91 in CT...and that's with 10:1. Of course it was terrible yesterday morning...but hopefully performs better today. I do wonder if the ragged look of the western edge in the MId Atlantic translates up here...because I would expect to see some screw zones in that case.

My personal call for CT is 1-3" west of I-91, 3-6" between 91 & the river...and 5-9" east of the river.

Yeah I like the HRRR evolution - makes sense to me. You can see that little :weenie: band that develops over CT on the nose of that 850mb jet later today. With better ratios than 10:1 I think we're in good shape. 

The distance between 91 snd the river is less than a mile in some parts of NCT that would be a narrow swath in those areas.

Yeah I know. Just ballparking it because I don't have time for a map. If I were to draw it out the 5-9 zone would probably be a bit east up that way, maybe closer to the HFD/TOL county border

12 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I really like Ryan and NBC's 30 map. If you shave of a hair of qpf to account for dry air  but bump ratios to 15:1 due to good snow growth we should be in good shape with those amounts.

Seems about right considering this is 10:1 ratio.  If we get a bit better ratio that seems resonable

2017-01-07_0842.png

7 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I really like Ryan and NBC's 30 map. If you shave of a hair of qpf to account for dry air  but bump ratios to 15:1 due to good snow growth we should be in good shape with those amounts.

Yeah I feel confidence in it. Last night before the 00z runs came in I thought I may need to bump up but with the slight tick east overnight we're in good shape. The fundamentals are the same. Deep/moist dendritic growth zone rarely disappoints. 

4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah I feel confidence in it. Last night before the 00z runs came in I thought I may need to bump up but with the slight tick east overnight we're in good shape. The fundamentals are the same. Deep/moist dendritic growth zone rarely disappoints. 

I think that's a good map. Encompasses a good range due to some uncertainty. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

I don't know why I pay attention to Upton anymore. They went from super conservative yesterday to perhaps a bit too bullish today.

The NWS does a lot of things very well but man there snow maps are almost always all over the place. Poor shift-to-shift consistency, poor consistency across CWA borders sometimes, and also just some weird numbers and ranges sometimes. I feel like they're almost so bogged down by algorithms and the model blender (that incorporates a bunch of BS stuff like the SREF) that they lose sight of the bigger picture. 

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The NWS does a lot of things very well but man there snow maps are almost always all over the place. Poor shift-to-shift consistency, poor consistency across CWA borders sometimes, and also just some weird numbers and ranges sometimes. I feel like they're almost so bogged down by algorithms and the model blender (that incorporates a bunch of BS stuff like the SREF) that they lose sight of the bigger picture. 

ALY does pretty well with them so far, with the new graphics, its weather underground thats the flip flop king with amounts..every hour they change.. anyone know what they base their qpf algorithm on

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Not sure if it was covered or not, you guys added 20+ pages while I was sleeping, but the shortwave was definitely deeper than modeled according to the 00z raobs.

OUN had a height of 544 at H5, neither the GFS or Euro were that deep (and they might have been a hair fast).

Sort of ...

I posted a couple three brief posts around 11pm (shocking ...I know) where I mentioned how the NAM's 00z odd jog E, and the GFS's following in line ...smacked of contaminated raobs getting into the initialization... I just couldn't wait up long enough for the Diagnostic office to put out their report - which I assumed would be around 1am. 

Anyway, I still don't know if that was case or not, but of more importance is that the initialization of the 00z was suspect for me in general just based upon the subsequent modeling behavior.  And issue that might also effect the 06z runs.

What's interesting is that the RGEM and GGEM kept right on up with the previous dynamics and trended yet even more in favor of deeper impact; not sure what the status of of their initializations are and/or if they have some means to correct/smooth errors... I don't know. But it was interesting that there was no apparent influence on the CMC's

Archived