joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 7th/8th Storm Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You look at radar over the Mid Atlantic and then the model VV fields and it looks strange to me. You would think it was a stripe of heavier precip with such notable lift. It is, but smoother and a bit NW of where it shows the heavier 6hr QPF IMO. IOW, radar there has a better appearance then some guidance would suggest. Hopefully that translates to us.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

You look at radar over the Mid Atlantic and then the model VV fields and it looks strange to me. You would think it was a stripe of heavier precip with such notable lift. It is, but smoother and a bit NW of where it shows the heavier 6hr QPF IMO. IOW, radar there has a better appearance then some guidance would suggest. Hopefully that translates to us.

I like that convection is more or less oriented N/S. Directs moisture more northward than eastward.

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

LOL say it three time and snap your feet..

LOL--I was thinking the exact same thing when I read his post.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You look at radar over the Mid Atlantic and then the model VV fields and it looks strange to me. You would think it was a stripe of heavier precip with such notable lift. It is, but smoother and a bit NW of where it shows the heavier 6hr QPF IMO. IOW, radar there has a better appearance then some guidance would suggest. Hopefully that translates to us. to NW Mass with a surprise win.

j/k.  From this point on, I guess we'll be relying on obs upstream to see how things are playing out.  Good luck in eastern MA, RI, SE CT. This one's yours.

12* at both KPIT and KPIT2.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Va Beach is sleet..they were supposed to be all snow. Telltale sign of farther NW move and Euro correct

Definitely a bust over the Triangle and areas south and east of there I admit it. Everything about 50 miles NW of where I thought it would b

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Va Beach is sleet..they were supposed to be all snow. Telltale sign of farther NW move and Euro correct

Definitely keep an eye on the morning soundings from those areas. When you compare them to the models (either 12z initialization, 06z 6 hour forecast, etc) you'll be able to tell how far off they are from reality.

12 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

nyc and philly radars don't look so great to me, kind of shredded towards philly

the motion is def more ne than nne or n

this changes later? I see just a little more of a nward motion in ne pa 

I think this is how it was modeled--no reason to be alarmed or excited in my opinion.

Def some guidance tickling back east a little bit. Not that it will make a huge difference for the coast but it could for the interior. 

Seems like obs down south are northwest of what many thought....do we have some 12z RAOB comps, Chris?

Archived