Newest Member
    joxey
January 7th/8th Storm Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The NWS does a lot of things very well but man there snow maps are almost always all over the place. Poor shift-to-shift consistency, poor consistency across CWA borders sometimes, and also just some weird numbers and ranges sometimes. I feel like they're almost so bogged down by algorithms and the model blender (that incorporates a bunch of BS stuff like the SREF) that they lose sight of the bigger picture. 

This is somewhat OT but important when considering NWS forecasts. Perhaps the issue is in who the NWS is hiring. There has been a huge shift recently--over the past 5-10 years---towards those with strong programming backgrounds. So much so that NWS openings are being filled more commonly with "computer scientists" and statistics gurus rather than weather forecasters. There is some overlap in the skill set for sure. But good forecasters are often overlooked because the skill itself is not objectively proven during undergrad or graduate study. 

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I feel that max mounts are over Plymouth county. Anywhere near  and s of the coastal front. From near here to the canal. 

I imagine S PYM county does the best. I think the best lift is over Cape and S PYM county extreme S Bristol County w obviously E And NE coastal parts getting Enhancement

Really like EWB to Cweat to Falmouth to Harwich

I know by now folks would have already pulverized these events ...breaking them down to their quantum bits to find any nano-particles of hope and so forth ...but, just the coarse FRH gird (FOUS) for Boston came in with numbers that imply borderline blizzard makes it to Logan... It has nearing .5" at one interval (that's liquid/melted equivalency) with NNE wind at sustained 27 kts, with T1 of -5 C!

In simple terms, that's windy, with heavy snow occurring at 23 F; the "sticking" factor of the snow is lost and thus the snow is prone to airborne, too.   At that point, it's probably < 1/4 mi vis in those numbers above for your three hour requirement.

I suspect that's the case on Cape Ann and the North Shore region as well...

Archived