SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, superjames1992 said:

The SREF plumes are still looking pretty anemic for a lot of areas.  We're talking about a mean of around an inch for CLT and RDU, and 1.5" in GSO.  We'll see if they turn for the better tonight.

The 21z SREF plumes are somewhat improved compared to prior runs.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/srefplumes/

1 minute ago, Poimen said:

The NAM is a good hit for the NW Piedmont and it's surface low track is more NW than previous runs. It's also much quicker than the other guidance. 

The faster timing by 10 to 12 hrs is what causes rn snow line futher n and w. Hopefully it'll slow down a notch with all other guidacne for southern folks on fringe temp wise. Best nam hit yet here in triad by far

3 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

21Z SREF for RDU has a mean snowfall between 1 - 1.5"

The problem is the delayed changeover to snow from the initial rain/mix.  

Is anyone else seeing this delayed cold as a concern?  I don't see it getting here fast enough.

Yes.  It's going to be a problem.

2 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Is anyone else seeing this delayed cold as a concern?  I don't see it getting here fast enough.

Jon mentioned earlier he found the SREF plumes not really all that reliable until 36hrs out or so.

1 minute ago, PackGrad05 said:

I dunno CMC/GFS have it plenty cold, heck its in the low to mid 20's and snowing like hell for most of central/eastern NC by Sat morning thats pretty insane for us....evem the Ukie and Euro are cold.....we might start off as a little rain Friday but by midnight or so Friday night its gonna be all snow for RDU over to PGV.....or at least thats what the models show, even the NAM has us snowing and low 20's....

Just now, PackGrad05 said:

Your only seeing delays of cold on nam and sref, think they use common data input. If you see it on other guidance, esp foreign then I'd start raising eyebrow. But not much wiggle room when your in jackpot zone. Remember those who end up with the highest totals can smell the rain while it's falling.

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

Just looking at the precip type map I thought we did pretty good. Areas south and east of Raleigh would initially be mixed with rain but even they would quickly change over.

Thanks Falls.   Figured the NW jog might increase our totals as they were higher east of Wake Co on earlier runs

6 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

NAM snow map from latest run increasing every run.....this is a solid hit for us.

namconus_asnow_seus_28.png

1 minute ago, PackGrad05 said:

This cold air is moving from the W/NW...over the apps.  The dense air could have difficulty moving in as quickly as the models project.  

Usually our cold air is coming from north with no orographic interference.

I could be wrong but the latest GFS had a high up in the NE.  If we get a couple of those to pop there shouldn't be a problem.  

Most hasn't had one though but it's been really cold on the GFS/EURO/UKmet at go time. I'll go with those.  If they're wrong though, yeah that would stink. 

1 hour ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

My head is spinning!

Here are a couple things to think about, especially for the upstate and NEGA peeps. This storm seems to have sped up quite a bit. At first it was Sat pm into Sat night. Now it has trended to Fri pm to Fri night, about 24 hours faster. GSP is talking about this starting as rain now, whereas we weren't thinking that a couple of days ago. That will certainly eat into totals. It also seems to be a fast mover. In these type of setup, particularly with late bloomers, eastern areas are going to fare better than us (plus we have lower level temps to worry about now, as usual). My advice is to take these GFS maps cautiously and temper expectations until the last flake has fallen. In those areas, we have seen over and over where cold is delayed in making it over the mountains, moisture is chewed up, and the models try to "see" wraparound snow that climo says will never reach our area. Be careful if you are hanging your bets on evap cooling, upslope enhancement, or wrap around bands. Living in the upstate for over 30 years, I have rarely seen any of those deliver in winter weather events. 

This is an excellent post. I know mets won't like to hear this...but sometimes experience is a better tool than models. That's why I think GSP is right to be cautious. 

Just now, SnowNiner said:

I could be wrong but the latest GFS had a high up in the NE.  If we get a couple of those to pop there shouldn't be a problem.  

Most hasn't had one though but it's been really cold on the GFS/EURO/UKmet at go time. I'll go with those.  If they're wrong though, yeah that would stink. 

Yeah has a 1040 up over the northern plains and a 1030 NE of the GL's, the cold is legit and deep and for once really isnt going to be a problem.....ratios look better than average too so figure 13-15:1 so even places looking at .25" QPF could end up with 4-5" of powder. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived