joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

It's a wonder it ever snows here.

The late Jim McKay on ABC once said, "It's not amazing that there hasn't been more than 11 triple crown winners, it's amazing that there has been 11" (horse racing).  Yeah, it is amazing it ever snows here considering everything that has to go right.  La Nina ups the ante though...makes it even tougher

1 minute ago, griteater said:

The late Jim McKay on ABC once said, "It's not amazing that there hasn't been more than 11 triple crown winners, it's amazing that there has been 11" (horse racing).  Yeah, it is amazing it ever snows here considering everything that has to go right.  La Nina ups the ante though...makes it even tougher

That's a good one!   Nina's suck but I don't know of weak Nina with wQBO that didn't have at least a few inches of snow for RDU.  With this AK ridge placement it seems like we are getting that canonical Nina/wQBO response.  Does CLT have any clunkers.  Heck even the strong Nina's has snow (74/76/2000) for RDU.  Why I am a little bullish we get something.  Though I guess first time for everything.  

2 hours ago, ajr said:

When you say it's harder to get a long lasting -NAO is this the general trend that you're referring to? http://www.pnas.org/content/98/23/12876.full

That is a great read! It definitely leads to warmer than average winters here. I don't think we've had many below average winters over the last decade except 09-10 and 10-11. Both strong -NAO winters. It's good that we don't depend on it all the time for snow. 13-14 is a great example. Above average temps overall but plenty of winter weather. I don't think anyone cares if it's above average as long as we get our snow. 

4 hours ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

From the looks of the indices today the NAO looks to go negative by New Years Day and stay that way for the rest of the run. I admit it is not the best of patterns, but it does have more potential than just "pure luck"

Definitely have a shot with good timing. I see it trends negative but looks like only -1. Better than nothing for sure but not sure that'll be enough with the way the trough likes the west this year.

59 minutes ago, Miserable Midlands said:

That is a great read! It definitely leads to warmer than average winters here. I don't think we've had many below average winters over the last decade except 09-10 and 10-11. Both strong -NAO winters. It's good that we don't depend on it all the time for snow. 13-14 is a great example. Above average temps overall but plenty of winter weather. I don't think anyone cares if it's above average as long as we get our snow. 

Very good read. Published in 2001? Considering a more universally accepted acknowledgement of AGW,  I wonder now how much more of a positive feedback has been unleashed by increased cold fresh water running off of Greenland and keeping the North Atlantic current weak and suppressed. If I'm not mistaken don't we want warm surface waters near Greenland for -NAO? 

I think the storm got sheared out...I see little to no moisture. Really cold. On my cell so it's hard to see exactly what happened flipping between the model runs, but this is ridiculously different than previous runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Jonathan said:

Wow...from an amped runner at 18z to a completely squashed cold-dominated no-storm at 0z :lol: oh, you silly GFS

GFS is a JOKE, That's wht I said everybody jumping ship way to quick for late next week. Still may be nothing, But we want have a good handle on it until Tuesday probably..... 

Archived