Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, MichaelJ said:

Well at least we didn't start a storm thread! Trends look really bad now and you know the saying "the trend is NOT your friend"

I don't see any trend at all. Just look at the GFS today at 0z, 6z, and 12z. Middle of the road, suppressed and weak, then wrapped up and more intense. 

5 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

While the pattern is not really all that great for a big winter storm, it's still close enough for small variations to make a big difference.  Something like a shortwave not being sampled well or a model amping up one piece of energy vs. another can make huge differences at these leads.  My gut feeling is that we'll get some sort of Miller Bish look.  I doubt we see a big wound up storm heading toward the Lakes.  On the other hand, this nice suppressed overruning look that we search for every year that never pans out may be difficult to come by also.  Still plenty of options legitimately on the table at this point.  But my instinct tells me that more liquid is likely to fall than frozen for all but the upper portions of the SE.

Really, you don't want to be in the bullseye 7-8 days out! That gives me hope!

Just now, msuwx said:

I don't see any trend at all. Just look at the GFS today at 0z, 6z, and 12z. Middle of the road, suppressed and weak, then wrapped up and more intense. 

Yep. It's more or less folks living and dying by each operational. Full freak out mode today.

1 minute ago, Wow said:

Euro lets the southern wave shear out in the SW.  See this a lot on the models in this range.  Just needs to hold its own as the northern energy passes by instead of letting it suck it up and stringing it out.  

Problem is that the heights over the SE never fall...the cold air gets held up and can't plunge more effectively into the SE.  Only the UKMet shows the needed cold press and hard to say if that would even work based on how the SW wave would kick out

Greg Fishel

5 mins · 

"INTRIGUING" IS ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT LATE NEXT WEEK

Here are a couple of reasons to not get too excited about snow/ice talk for late next week. First, it's a week out, and you know how that goes. To this day, I still wish we did a 5-day forecast and not a 7-day, but one has to pick their battles :-). Second, there is a reason the mean annual snowfall at RDU is 6.1". It takes a special set of meteorological variables to come together in just the right fashion to pull it off. Any one parameter missing? You're goose is cooked. Even the "normal" snowfall numbers are misleading. Take January, climatologically our snowiest month with an average of 2.9". For you statistic buffs, the 50th percentile is .7". That means half the time we see .7" or less in January, and .7" or more the other half. A few active Januarys drive the mean upward, but long time residents of North Carolina know the real truth. So what about this thing late next week? It is true that a large mass of arctic air will take over much of the U.S. and that a very strong frontal zone will set up over the southeast part of the country. The more thermal contrast you have, the more potential there is for at the very least waves of low pressure to form, and at the most, major cyclones to develop.You don't need a major storm with abnormally low pressures to get abundant amounts of precipitation. All you need is a moisture source, a mechanism to make the air rise, and of course cold air if your desire is snow or ice. The one thing that bothers me about this potential event next week is the positioning of the Arctic High pressure area supplying the cold air. It's forecast to be in the Plains and not over the northeast U.S. Surface features are a reflection of what's going on in the upper atmosphere, and our most prolific winter storms here do not occur with a High over the Plains. In this scenario, the cold air has to make it over the mountains, and usually does so in a modified state. A High over the Northeast provides a direct discharge of cold arctic air into the piedmont with no orographic barriers in the way. Does this mean we have no chance for wintry weather next week? Absolutely not! It's the 'ole "wait and see" game playing out once again. Just don't want you snow lovers to get your hopes up for nothing. Better to expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised than to turn low probability into high expectation, only to be disappointed once again. And for you snow haters out there, all I can say is, the odds are always in your favor!

Archived