joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This cold airmass is largely getting underestimated in my opinion.This is a bitter,dense,air mass that was only dislodged only by a fairly potent wave 1 and wave 2 heat flux pressing it south now.Not a run of the mill cold at all.

MJO supports cold in the Midwest,east and the AO and NAO forecasted sharply negative now.

The nightmare scenario would be someone getting stuck at 24 degrees with moderate rain which could happen if this dense airmass gets entrenched at the surface,depending on WAA and the low pressure track.Then you better hope you have a generator near by.

Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

This cold airmass is largely getting underestimated in my opinion.This is a bitter,dense,air mass that was only dislodged only by a fairly potent wave 1 and wave 2 heat flux pressing it south now.Not a run of the mill cold at all.

MJO supports cold in the Midwest,east and the AO and NAO forecasted sharply negative now.

The nightmare scenario would be someone getting stuck at 24 degrees with moderate rain which could happen if this dense airmass gets entrenched at the surface,depending on WAA and the low pressure track.Then you better hope you have a generator near by.

Just my opinion.

It's also very dense and shallow. With most models not showing cad, have to be concerned about the Apps holding the cold air back, by 12-24 hours. Happens all the time, sadly

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

That's a great explanation CR, thanks.  I thought the blocking looked pretty good and was enough to give us that confluence, but it looks like all in all it's too far east to do the job.  Dang Mutumbo.  

Lol at the long range.  Take that Mutumbo!! Jordan in your face!!

Thanks.  You don't want the mechanism responsible for the confluence to escape so quickly.  This is why we all too frequently see high pressure race off the NE coast.  I don't think we really know what it's like to experience true, stable, west-based blocking, since we don't get -NAO winters anymore.  It's so important to "anchor" the cold feed into our part of the world.  Jon really likes the -EPO feature, and I understand that and agree with him.  You HAVE to have a mechanism to deliver arctic cold to our side of the world.  But you also need something to keep it in place.  Otherwise, you get the cold shot, warm up, rain out, cold shot, warm up, rain out routine, which we see all the time these days.  The thing you have to be concerned about with west-based blocking is suppression.  IMO, that's something I can live with.

The other way to lock in the cold is with a robust +PNA, which we have seen some of in the last few years.  The thing you have to worry about here, though, is does it set up too far west or east (cutters vs. OTS storm tracks, if you get a storm at all). 

Hailstorm (good points, by the way), posted that the indexes were looking good.  Hopefully, the trend continues there, along with some elevation of the PNA.

14 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Should we be concerned about the high strength at this juncture? I mean a 1032, is not a blockbuster!

You should always be concerned about the strength of the high!  On that map, its center is too far west.  However, you see the tendency for higher pressure over the northern tier, which is good and which is infinitely better than the Lakes low.  Changes at 500 could yield a better strength and better placement come game time.

10 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

The back of my mind too is the fact that models have been over emphasizing the SE ridge.  Has that been the case?  If that is true perhaps that could allow the cold to sink further into the SE more than currently modeled. Interesting set up, at the least. 

Very possible, particularly if we get a little better blocking than currently modeled or if the H5 features shuffle around just a little bit.

We're really not very far away at all from a widespread big time winter storm.  But, when you live in the SE, the line between the major league and a backyard wiffle ball tournament often is razor thin.

6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

You should always be concerned about the strength of the high!  On that map, its center is too far west.  However, you see the tendency for higher pressure over the northern tier, which is good and which is infinitely better than the Lakes low.  Changes at 500 could yield a better strength and better placement come game time.

Very possible, particularly if we get a little better blocking than currently modeled or if the H5 features shuffle around just a little bit.

We're really not very far away at all from a widespread big time winter storm.  But, when you live in the SE, the line between the major league and a backyard wiffle ball tournament often is razor thin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmOWsXDMwqM

Yep. Very odd not dealing with a CAD situation.  Almost no experience so I'm just along for the ride at this point.  Thanks.  

55 minutes ago, griteater said:

Oh yeah, I always want to see the damming high.  Ideally there's a dual high, one over the Midwest and another over the NE.

On the image, the big polar trough that is centered north of the Great Lakes...ideally, that would be positioned a little more to the SE (even better would be a big blocking ridge to the north of it).  In it's current position, the parent sfc high is stuck behind it in the Pacific NW and isn't able to move to the east in time ahead of the SW wave that kicks out

zkpuva.gif

Snowniner, for comparison, here's the Mar 1983 snow.  Polar trough is better positioned over SE Canada and into the Northeast.  Sfc high right behind it over Wisconsin.  Storm wave is coming out of New Mexico

vxhv87.gif

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

^ Wow, thanks Grit.  The PV is set up almost in Maine. Highs in much better position.  Is the H location corresponding to where the PV is located or the orientation of the trough?  

Sfc high will be tucked in behind that polar trough / PV lobe / 50/50 low, whatever you want to call it, in the confluent flow.

Just now, FallsLake said:

At hour 108 it looks like the high over SE Montana is a little stronger and there's a little more push of the cold air SE. But lets see where it goes from here.

The two SW's almost phase. If they can phase, this will allow even colder air to flood south and hence cause pressure increases over the northern plains. 

Archived