joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We discussed this earlier, but the low that tracks from Arkansas to E Canada on Tues-Wed, it's the key element for the cold air behind it.  The polar jet energy diving down south of Hudson Bay gets injected into that system on the 12z GFS Para and 18z GFS.  That strengthens and wraps up the low, with cold air funneling in behind it.  As that happens, a ridge pops out ahead of it over Greenland...but the strengthening of the E Canada low is the key piece...the Greenland ridging is moreso a side effect.  We aren't going to get a big, traditional, retrograding Greenland block with this one.

11 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Yesterday I posted on how the EPS was doing fairly well inside day 10....well one thing it and the GEFS did was model to much Atlantic/SER.   Didn't really lose it until inside day 5.

That's great to know, pack. This is why we can't give up hope because of a SER issue. Now, the other blocks, handling of energy, etc...different story.

RAH starting to mention a possibility for late next week:

The front moving through the area late
Wednesday will be stalling across the gulf states and looks to begin
reloading the whole process, with in-situ damming and overrunning
setting up again on Thursday. Have low confidence in the timing and
will maintain slight chance PoPs for now. Stay tuned, as colder air
across the upper Midwest could be shunted south to add yet another
variable/consideration to the forecast equation Thursday night and
Friday.

**Not sure if this is the same time period we're talking about; seems a little early.

5 minutes ago, griteater said:

MJ - if you're asking about the 12z Para, I just want to see a load of cold air sent SE mid next week.  I have little concern with getting precip to come out of the gulf late week given the SW flow regime

Yes I was talking about the Para and thanks for the response, plenty of time to watch this but I am getting that queasy Miller B'ish feeling

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

I just want to see a load of cold air sent SE mid next week

wouldn't we all? and i respond with all due respect. in fact if a cold air load could last until feb 31st (ha ha) - but dadgum if i can see any sustained cold on any model  ....  and w/o cold there's nothing else to work with except maybe an early t'nado season

Archived