Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

7 hours ago, packbacker said:

As soon as Dec 1st hits we get that winter of 16/17 look...:facepalm:

compday.b3rg84O_wB.gif

eps_t2ma_d5_noram_300.png

Looks like the PNA is just as important as the NAO. Maybe even more. It's clearly overriding the blocking here. That -PNA need to disappear fast as we move into winter or we may waste the first favorable NAO in years. Just my opinion though.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Solak said:

Ryan Maue | weather.usVerified account @RyanMaue 25m25 minutes ago

December 2017 monthly temperatures continue to be forecast well above normal in CFSv2 across Lower 48 USA. Avg of last 40 cycles:DPbZ9P6VQAAk3Sc.jpg

But , but the weeklies and the blocking , it's happening!

Yep.  We all knew this string of +NAO early winter patterns would break eventually.  Watching the 18z GFS rolling and early December continues to trend toward low heights over the east coast and central Atlantic.  The real chill not there yet but the following week looking to be when it all dumps in.

1 hour ago, Wow said:

Yep.  We all knew this string of +NAO early winter patterns would break eventually.  Watching the 18z GFS rolling and early December continues to trend toward low heights over the east coast and central Atlantic.  The real chill not there yet but the following week looking to be when it all dumps in.

I wish we could roll that 384 hour look to within day 10. .....cold air pressing southward with a moisture feed incoming from the SW. 

aaab.png

8 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Indices looking good in the LR.

PNA - Now solidly going positive in the LR.

NAO - Going strongly negative in LR.

AO - Going strongly negative in the LR.

This is one of the best depictions I've seen in some time.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Cold Rain, we need gifs for these fantastic indicies, before they Chang! :(

54 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Yep, we need CRs analysis on the indices. They look good now but we need some mojo to go along with them...

The indices have been pretty good really. We have blocking or close to it currently. Iv been reading across the board and see some great info especially from the MA crew from Bob chill and CAPE, and a few others, also the NE thread has some good analysis. Seems like we have a two to three week step down process which i am gung ho about because that will really put use into the start of prime climo for snow especially with the winter solstice coming. Also the EPS is really starting to look great around December the 8th onward especially with significant blocking taking place. 

Hey SE folks. We're all cautiously optimistic up and down the coast right now. For the MA and SE it takes more than a great pattern to produce. We've both wasted far more good patterns with limited results than the other way around. However, a west based nao block is probably the highest odds feature. Time will tell but right now a west based nao block is unanimous. Hard not to like that.

With that being said, I have a hunch you guys will score before the MA. Climo is still hostile during early Dec but the western half to 2/3rds of NC are probably in the best postion IF the west based nao verifies. I can easily envision a wave tracking through the TN valley and off the coast down the line. Keep an eye on the ens mean precip panels. Both the gefs and eps have a decent precip signal in the d11-15 range for tn/nc. Not as much for my area. My hunch is blocked flow/confluence favors areas south of the MA. A long ways out and nothing discreet on the radar but something worth nothing either way.

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey SE folks. We're all cautiously optimistic up and down the coast right now. For the MA and SE it takes more than a great pattern to produce. We've both wasted far more good patterns with limited results than the other way around. However, a west based nao block is probably the highest odds feature. Time will tell but right now a west based nao block is unanimous. Hard not to like that.

With that being said, I have a hunch you guys will score before the MA. Climo is still hostile during early Dec but the western half to 2/3rds of NC are probably in the best postion IF the west based nao verifies. I can easily envision a wave tracking through the TN valley and off the coast down the line. Keep an eye on the ens mean precip panels. Both the gefs and eps have a decent precip signal in the d11-15 range for tn/nc. Not as much for my area. My hunch is blocked flow/confluence favors areas south of the MA. A long ways out and nothing discreet on the radar but something worth nothing either way.

Thanks Bob for stopping by. I have really been enjoying yalls analysis the past few days. 

29 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Feel free to stop by anytime... your thoughts are always welcome.

18 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Thanks Bob for stopping by. I have really been enjoying yalls analysis the past few days. 

Appreciate it. I'm in chips fall mode now. I've seen enough and unless consensus breaks over the next week, I'm pretty much ready to start talking about something discrete instead of all the pretty colors on the ens mean h5 panels. lol. 

This is what I'm talking about. This panel is late in the run but the precip signal starts in TX and just glides eastward into the TN valley. The trajectory is indicative of a strong block. Something we haven't really talked about since 2010-11. lol. The GEFS has been showing different versions of this for a couple days but for simplicity, here's the 6z panel late in the run. The precip bullseye is centered over TN but not much of a northward progression during the trip from TX. Interesting stuff even @ long leads. 

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_56.png

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Appreciate it. I'm in chips fall mode now. I've seen enough and unless consensus breaks over the next week, I'm pretty much ready to start talking about something discrete instead of all the pretty colors on the ens mean h5 panels. lol. 

This is what I'm talking about. This panel is late in the run but the precip signal starts in TX and just glides eastward into the TN valley. The trajectory is indicative of a strong block. Something we haven't really talked about since 2010-11. lol. The GEFS has been showing different versions of this for a couple days but for simplicity, here's the 6z panel late in the run. The precip bullseye is centered over TN but not much of a northward progression during the trip from TX. Interesting stuff even @ long leads. 

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_56.png

Thanks for dropping by Bob! Appreciate the input and hopefully the SE and MA crew can cash in on these favorable conditions that will hopefully come to fruition!

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Was just looking at the qpf output for day 11+...wow.   Good to hear from you Bob!

get_orig_img.php?model=gfsens&run_time=1

The mjo has changed  too.  A few days ago had it forecasted to be 3 to low to possibly 6/7. Now the map is currently on the threshold of low 4. Showing it going into 3 before cycling through phases 3 to 7.

ATM hard to believe either gfs  or euro. Vastly different after 200hrs.  If the gfs is right then the pacific NW should calm down and the sjs should become more active since its showing a huge h5 and h3 trough. 

Archived