Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Hopefully the Pac is modeled correct with the stout -AO.  If the PV lobe drops in where the GEFS/EPS show it that could result in quite the suppressed storm track like ‘14.  

And now that I jinxed us...

Yeah, 2014 had a real good storm in February IIRC. Other than that it was pretty quiet.  We are certainly in the game with a stout -EPO/+PNA like 2014.  However I'd love to mix it up and up our chances with a good -NAO.  I really want that to make an appearance for a few weeks this winter to see what we can get.  I'd love to have true blocking, that helps keep our CAD high pressures from scooting off the east coast leaving us. Hopefully something closer to the GEFS is what develops. 

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_53.png

12z GFS continues to advertise a change to a more favorable pattern.  While not without concerns and certainly not perfect, there are a couple of more episodes of favorable blocking setting up, as well as the evolution to having a PV set up shop in eastern/SE Canada.

At 168, you can see the ridge off the west cost, the SW cutoff as well as a PV developing/dropping SE due to the 50/50 off the east coast, pumping up the ridge over Greenland:

168.thumb.jpg.97abb284fcbd433ee7adaf6bdee5793d.jpg

The process continues at 204, with the west coast ridge growing and the block over Greenland now established.  The 50/50 is diminishing but the PV is expanding and building in.  The storm track shifts south:

204.thumb.jpg.22de849e5603d40d17efc495cb10c81b.jpg

Now at D10, we have a block off and onto the west coast connecting with a stout Greenland block.  This forces the PV south and the storm track south.  Nice early winter pattern for sure:

240.thumb.jpg.b8037bfb163f0ab0185c32928e66b593.jpg

At 324, the west coast ridge has increased in amplitude as the Greenland block has eroded.  However, renewed ridging into Greenland is inviting another PV development/expansion phase, as the storm track remains south:

324.thumb.jpg.45aaa059262fa1cbcc65dbac9e90912c.jpg

And lastly, at 384, a sprawling PV envelops almost all of Canada.  We have sort of an omega block, centered over AK and ridging continues into Greenland:

384.thumb.jpg.9d1e7dfa1db9c19f59f224cdce5a204c.jpg

This doesn't appear to be an icebox pattern for the SE or one that is highly supportive of an early season winter storm.  But if it verifies, it will be miles ahead of anything we've seen lately.  The blocking is certainly good to see, as is the development of some really cold air on our side of the globe.

35 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

12z GFS continues to advertise a change to a more favorable pattern.  While not without concerns and certainly not perfect, there are a couple of more episodes of favorable blocking setting up, as well as the evolution to having a PV set up shop in eastern/SE Canada

This doesn't appear to be an icebox pattern for the SE or one that is highly supportive of an early season winter storm.  But if it verifies, it will be miles ahead of anything we've seen lately.  The blocking is certainly good to see, as is the development of some really cold air on our side of the globe.

Nice analysis CR! Very nice run to keep us cool. I hope that GFS/GEFS' -NAO is right.  Very nice blocking it looks like.  I agree though that it's nothing that yells "it's going to snow in December". It just doesn't seem like it's very cold, but again it's December in the Southeast. 

If the look keeps up into January, will you take down your snowshields?! 

51 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Nice analysis CR! Very nice run to keep us cool. I hope that GFS/GEFS' -NAO is right.  Very nice blocking it looks like.  I agree though that it's nothing that yells "it's going to snow in December". It just doesn't seem like it's very cold, but again it's December in the Southeast. 

If the look keeps up into January, will you take down your snowshields?! 

Thank you sir.  Every time the snow shields come down early, the snow never does.  Therefore, we're taking a new approach this year.  Snow shields will remain activated until penetrated by snowfall.

10 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Thank you sir.  Every time the snow shields come down early, the snow never does.  Therefore, we're taking a new approach this year.  Snow shields will remain activated until penetrated by snowfall.

He said penetrated, huh, huh, huh, ehh, huh, huh huh, penetrated! Can't wait for my week of upper 50s and lows in the upper 30s! Block

CPC 8-14 DAY OUTLOOK FOR DEC 06 - 12 2017  

THE LONGWAVE PATTERN CHANGE OVER NORTH AMERICA IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR BY THE  
BEGINNING OF THE WEEK-2 PERIOD. DUE TO LOW SPREAD AMONG THE GFS AND ECMWF  
ENSEMBLE MEMBERS AND GOOD MODEL CONTINUITY, FORECAST CONFIDENCE REMAINS HIGH  
THAT THIS PATTERN BECOMES ESTABLISHED AND RESULTS IN MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES  
TO THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN U.S. DURING WEEK-2. THE GFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS  
CONTINUE TO INDICATE THAT THE ARCTIC OSCILLATION (AO) INDEX BECOMES MORE  
NEGATIVE WITH TIME AS POSITIVE 500-HPA HEIGHT ANOMALIES ARE PROMINENT OVER THE  
HIGHER LATITUDES OF THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE DURING EARLY DECEMBER.  

THE ENSEMBLE MEANS ARE IN EXCELLENT AGREEMENT WITH A HIGHLY AMPLIFIED RIDGE  
ALONG THE WEST COAST WITH A LARGE POSITIVE 500-HPA HEIGHT ANOMALY CENTER OF  
MORE THAN 200 METERS AT VANCOUVER ISLAND (50N/130W). THE TEMPERATURE OUTLOOK  
DURING WEEK-2 IS BASED ON TELECONNECTIONS UPON THIS LARGE 500-HPA HEIGHT  
ANOMALY CENTER ALONG WITH GUIDANCE FROM THE DYNAMICAL AND STATISTICAL TOOLS. A  
LARGE INCREASE IN THE SPATIAL COVERAGE OF BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES IS LIKELY  
TO OCCUR EARLY IN WEEK-2. THEREFORE, BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES ARE FAVORED FOR  
MUCH OF THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN CONUS. THE HIGHEST PROBABILITIES FOR BELOW  
NORMAL TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST ACROSS THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY WHERE  
STATISTICAL TOOLS HAVE A STRONG SIGNAL.

Archived