joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I can't even get a fantasy snow! That's how pathetic mby is! :(

Pattern looks ok for a couple of below average days, no winter storms tho. By day 10, it'll probably be mid 60s in reality! I'm 56 degrees below avg with all my fantasy cold shots from this year already!

You have made the winter gods mad. No snow for you. 

Just now, SnowNiner said:

Aww, CLT's first slushy fantasy storm of the year! Yay! I wonder if it's because of the trough axis being further west/sharper? Ironically there's like zero greenland blocking in that storm on the op.  It's there on the ensembles though. 

We're losing the Greenland red colors run by run Niner.  Gotta say, the Canadian Ensemble was always the weakest with the Greenland block...mentioned it in a comparison a few days ago.  On the flip side, the western ridging is gaining strength

1 hour ago, burrel2 said:

All of the models are locked in on building and maintaining a massive west coast ridge starting around Day 7.  We didn't have a look this good on the models all of last winter.

They are indeed...with a weaker Greenland block look, we end up with the Hudson Bay vortex pattern you mentioned the other day

13 minutes ago, griteater said:

We're losing the Greenland red colors run by run Niner.  Gotta say, the Canadian Ensemble was always the weakest with the Greenland block...mentioned it in a comparison a few days ago.  On the flip side, the western ridging is gaining strength

Don't you say it, don't do it. My -NAO is real!!! You cant take it away.  Crap. 

It's still on the ensembles, so I'm going to hang on to it with a death ninja grip.

11 minutes ago, griteater said:

They are indeed...with a weaker Greenland block look, we end up with the Hudson Bay vortex pattern you mentioned the other day

So tired of seeing that Atlantic ridge...will have to ride the -EPO/AO combo. That ridge is such an anti snow signal for atleast Raleigh.  But will take gladly take some sleet.  

8 minutes ago, packbacker said:

So tired of seeing that Atlantic ridge...will have to ride the -EPO/AO combo. That ridge is such an anti snow signal for atleast Raleigh.  But will take gladly take some sleet.  

We're the sleet capital. Hard to get pure snow in our region. But at least we tend to be in the game for some type of frozen/freezing precip during most SE winter storms.

I've posted this before, but as far as I can tell this is a world record (at least for what has been officially recorded) I was in Goldsboro and would have loved to see it.

aaaa.jpg

12 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

We're the sleet capital. Hard to get pure snow in our region. But at least we tend to be in the game for some type of frozen/freezing precip during most SE winter storms.

I've posted this before, but as far as I can tell this is a world record (at least for what has been officially recorded) I was in Goldsboro and would have loved to see it.

aaaa.jpg

Hard to get pure snow without -NAO.  Dec 2010 was the last event I remember that was all snow, stout -NAO.  But, I certainly don't mind the snow/sleet events either...beggars can't be choosers.

12 minutes ago, packbacker said:

This period coming up looks so close to the last couple of weeks of Jan/14.  Had a couple of small events affect the area and a big one just missed Raleigh south/east.

ceNU0l0.png

Yeah, Jan '14 is a good match.  One issue with the model analog stuff is that they have to match a date that is close to the forecast time (say within a few weeks either side of the forecast time).  So, the current model forecast analogs won't pick up on January dates that have a similar pattern match.  Because of this, the analogs miss on other winter dates that would otherwise be a good match for assessing potential temperature / precip anomalies.

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

Yeah, Jan '14 is a good match.  One issue with the model analog stuff is that they have to match a date that is close to the forecast time (say within a few weeks either side of the forecast time).  So, the current model forecast analogs won't pick up on January dates that have a similar pattern match.  Because of this, the analogs miss on other winter dates that would otherwise be a good match for assessing potential temperature / precip anomalies.

I was wondering why CPC day 8/11 wasn't picking up on 14'.  Good to know!

23 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

aaaa.jpg

I got bulls eyed for that one. One of the strangest weather events I've witnessed.

11 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Hard to get pure snow without -NAO.  Dec 2010 was the last event I remember that was all snow, stout -NAO.  But, I certainly don't mind the snow/sleet events either...beggars can't be choosers.

That's what worries me about this current situation. I keep hearing that the upcoming -NAO is backing off. Makes me think a miller A type storm could form running inland; putting central and eastern NC out of the game.  

3 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

That's what worries me about this current situation. I keep hearing that the upcoming -NAO is backing off. Makes me think a miller A type storm could form running inland; putting central and eastern NC out of the game.  

-NAO/-AO certainly helps, but we've had big storms without it.

Just now, FallsLake said:

Do you have any pictures? I've searched the web but can't find any.

I don't but I think my buddy does. We were serious water skiers at the time and took advantage of the deep sleet to do some winter training. He may still have some pics. It was weird,nothing on the rooftops but gutters were full and mini drifts were everywhere. 

Just now, frazdaddy said:

I don't but I think my buddy does. We were serious water skiers at the time and took advantage of the deep sleet to do some winter training. He may still have some pics. It was weird,nothing on the rooftops but gutters were full and mini drifts were everywhere. 

That would be great. I would love to see them.

46 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Worries me too, maybe just disappointed. We've seen what an -epo can do in 14 and 15. Yes we can get winter weather but without a good block along with a 50/50 low for confluence to lock in the cold high pressure we get sleeted or we just get rain. Block slows the flow and keeps the cad high in place. It's just better for sure, but sure we can live without it.

Archived