• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

Just had a chance to look at the 0z Euro. There could be a chance of a couple of clippers affecting us in the 8-10 day period. Clippers usually stay just north of us but can push more south if the trough is deep enough. They're also hard to predict; sometimes going to the day of the event before details are known.  

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SnowNiner said:

EURO ensembles still look good in the long range all the way through mid December.  Even has my precious ridging over Greenland and the Davis Straight.  

Overnight Euro Ens doesn't retrograde the western ridge as much as the GFS Ens which keeps the cold trough axis a little more on top of us...it would be a little colder than the GFS Ens.

5 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Just had a chance to look at the 0z Euro. There could be a chance of a couple of clippers affecting us in the 8-10 day period. Clippers usually stay just north of us but can push more south if the trough is deep enough. They're also hard to predict; sometimes going to the day of the event before details are known.  

Clippers suck! Hope that's not our only chance for snow out of this set up!

Wading thru ensemble members can be a painful task without a good user interface.  Luckily, College of Dupage has an excellent interface.

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/ > GEFS tab > Precipitation Products (on the left) > Ensemble Precip Type

12 of the 20 GFS Ens members from the 06z run have at least one wintry storm for our region.  #11 has the best one.  #15 has 3 systems.  

5 of the 20 have systems that cut with rain, but no wintry.

Only 2 are dry throughout (after the initial polar front).

But it shows the pattern of cold/cool highs coming down with storm chances.  Could be a progression of cool>warm>storm....or if timing is good, could be storm with cold.

Euro Ens look would be a little colder, but with less storm chances.

P1lIurO.png

I would not worry about 500 mb fluctuations in models past Day 7. The pattern is solid for cold. 1-2 day mild interludes are normal within a cold pattern. Short waves are also forecast within the broad trough over the East. Always hope, but I would not watch any single wave until it's inside Day 5.

Trouble (for extreme cold) is the source region. Alaska is not cold enough. AK temps are where I'd expect them after the Lower 48 turns cold, not in the lead-up. Sure it's -60 in Siberia, but we would need classic/retro cross polar flow. Could happen, but still, Alaska...

I thought the 12z GFS was a fun run. Definitely a lot of potential. The above snow totals I posted above should be suspect, in which we'll need the cold to chase and overtake the precip (we all know how that fairs). There is a fantasy storm way out on day 16. looking at (just for fun) most would think that only extreme north NC northward would benefit, but dew points would be in the single digits and teens with CAD before the precip started. And the CAD would stay strong. So overall, it's still a great pattern for something to develop.  

Archived