Toothache
Dec 17-18 Front End Snow/Ice/Rain Event

dmillz25

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Actually it's not... ESDT 12z is 8am during daylight saving time

You don't need to comment on everyone of my posts attempting to correct me.. especially when your wrong.. we get it, you don't like me lol

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/hurricanes/zulu-utc.html

Think about this post a minute...

14 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Actually it's not... ESDT 12z is 8am during daylight saving time

You don't need to comment on everyone of my posts attempting to correct me.. especially when your wrong.. we get it, you don't like me lol

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/hurricanes/zulu-utc.html

I wasn't saying it in a bad way.

And 12z is 7am.

8am is during DST.

Just now, pazzo83 said:

Right now we are UTC -5h, so 12z or 1200 UTC is 1200 - 500 = 700h EST.

In DST we are UTC - 4h, so 12z or 1200 UTC is 1200 - 400 = 800h EDT.

Math shouldn't be hard for people on a science board.

Thank you. Wasn't even posting it in a bad way.

Just correcting the error.

12z is 7am

18z is 1pm

0z is 7pm

6z is 1am

During DST add 1 hour to each.

1 minute ago, ag3 said:

Thank you. Wasn't even posting it in a bad way.

Just correcting the error.

12z is 7am

18z is 1pm

0z is 7pm

6z is 1am

During DST add 1 hour to each.

Yep.  Working often with Brits has it almost on auto for me - although we'd argue in the summer about GMT because technically London is in BST (British Summer Time) so they are GMT +1hr (GMT doesn't have daylight savings time).

This thread is a trainwreck. "NAM says I get 2.8" but the GFS says 2.7".....and the GGEM says changeover at 8:15 ESDT(?) but the Euro says changeover at 8:20am....and a tenth of a mile to my East always reports sleet but a tenth mile to my West always reports snow". The model nitpicking is laughable. We get it....its a crap event for most much like last weekend. You guys are killing yourselves debating a hundredth of an inch difference in precip etc.

3 hours ago, psv88 said:

ha true. of course not every event. But snowfall averages over time. NorthshoreWX has some maps over the years showing the annual snowfall. 

I'm about 5 miles east of the 3" NAM blob, but that level of precision is pretty useless at this time.  As good as the resolution is on the NAM, it's not enough to make reasonable snow maps for LI.

We've been in a rut of sorts where I am snow-wise.  Very roughly speaking (no statistical rigorousness to this at all) we've been in the top 20% of the island for annual snowfall and in the bottom 20% for just about every big storm (15"+).  Some are obvious because you can see where the best banding was east or west of here, and some are unexplainable (which annoys those who measured more).  One possible answer is the wind we get here on an east facing hill a couple of miles from the sound beating down the accumulations, but I am not convinced that is it.

Changeover on the 18z NAM between 13-14z. Should go over to plain rain in the city and immediate coast fairly quickly but it looks like sleet and snow could hang around North and West for a few hours after that. I see some potential for around a quarter of an inch of ice for the far interior and NE PA on Saturday afternoon. All areas of this subforum should flip to plain rain by 16-17z with perhaps the exception of Sullivan County and Western Orange County. A 2-3 hour period of moderate to locally heavy rain then looks likely for most of NJ, NYC and LI before a dry slot moves in after 19z. 

Rain then moves back in pre-dawn on Sunday and persists most of the day, perhaps flipping over to some wet snow North and West before tapering off.

Latest from Mt Holy NWS.

Sorta looks like game, set match south of i 78 for snow.

Talk of an I 80 special in terms of max snowfall.

Timing...Precipitation will overspread the region Friday night, but
with departing high pressure nearby, it will have to overcome a dry
air mass in place near the surface. By midnight Friday night, precip
should be reaching the ground northwest of I-95, but may struggle
to reach further east of here until late. The heavier precipitation
is expected to commence after midnight, northward of the I-195 and
PA Turnpike corridors, where deeper moisture is co-located with
stronger isentropic ascent. In fact, the heaviest precip is
favored in the late Friday night into Saturday morning period,
with the bulls eye between the I-80 and I-195>PA Turnpike
corridors. Overall, moderate confidence.
Almost time to spike the football for my area.

Amounts...In terms of snowfall, the highest amounts are expected
close to I-80. The snow is expected to be generally light, with a
heavier burst a few hours either side of sunrise Saturday, just
prior to the change-over. There is a narrow window in this period,
where upward vertical motion is maximized within the optimal Snow
Growth Zone (SGZ) region. In addition, the NAM also indicates some
frontogensis. However, model snow-liquid ratio (SLR) values are
expected to decrease rapidly during this time frame, while heavier
QPF may also be shifting southward with the stronger isentropic
lift. Thus, we have decreased snowfall amounts from the previous
forecast south of I-80. While sleet is expected to be minimal, a
longer period of freezing rain is expected Saturday morning, with
measurable ice glaze as far south as the I-195 to PA Turnpike
corridors. The amount of ice is dependent on how quickly 2-meter
temps warm Saturday morning, as well as the placement of the
heavier precip during this period. The greatest ice glaze is
likely between the I-80 and I-195>PA Turnpike corridors, where
some locations may receive up to around 0.10" with isolated 0.2"
amounts. Overall, moderate confidence in snow amounts and low
confidence in ice amounts.

24 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

gfs continues to delay the start and less qpf. Coating to a inch for NYC and 1-2 nw 

Allsnow, Looks like the RGEM is on its own now, forecasting the most snow accumulations for the metro area. GFS, NAM, CMC, UKMET and the Euro have all dropped snow totals and qpf since 0Z and have also sped up the warming and changeover to all rain

Allsnow, Looks like the RGEM is on its own now, forecasting the most snow accumulations for the metro area. GFS, NAM, CMC, UKMET and the Euro have all dropped snow totals and qpf since 0Z and have also sped up the warming and changeover to all rain

Higher resolution guidance slower with the upper air warming fwiw (12k nam/rgem) at least down my way vs former runs. Probably wont make a huge difference anyway tho.

12 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Higher resolution guidance slower with the upper air warming fwiw (12k nam/rgem) at least down my way vs former runs. Probably wont make a huge difference anyway tho.

Right off the bat, early this week I thought the setup looked bad for snow, bad surface high position, bad Atlantic setup, bad low track and unimpressive moisture advection early on with the overrunning

32 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It's was to cold with the last event. I doubt it's correct 

I'm thinking 1-2" around the city and most coastal areas (maybe less than 1" right on the shore). 3-5" once you get to northern Westchester, Rockland and I-287 and west. Far northwest near I-84 locally 6" or more. I'm not liking this near the coast and city, we really needed the heavy onset of snow. Looks like dry air will eat up the start of precip and make it choppy, allowing the increasing south wind to rocket up the temps. 

Archived