Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 17-18 Front End Snow/Ice/Rain Event

dmillz25

41 minutes ago, Dsnowx53 said:

The surface has very little to do with ratios. It's all about the profile and lift where the snowflakes are actually forming, as that determines the snowflake type and density. With the insane WAA modeled at the mid-levels, we can get plenty of lift in the snow growth zone and thus actually get pretty good ratios at times.

Thanks Doug 

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

ratios actually look good assuming there isn't a lot of riming

My thinking was that riming and mixed snowflake types were likely to bog down ratios given the deep lift and saturation through the 0 to -10C layer, which looks to extend all the way up to like 650mb. Am I completely off-base?

Edit: especially since large dendrites are most susceptible to density increases from riming, and they should be forming readily in the DGZ.  

V8wVl8l.png

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Euro is pretty similar from its 00z counterpart. Very good consistency among all models for this time range i have to say, pretty much model noise at this point. The LHV and NW CT does better this run, still solid for the rest of CT and NYC into NNJ. Good run.

The overrunning inducing disturbance or wave at 500mb is too weak and is really restricted from undergoing any further amplification because of the developing main low behind it.  I think the strength of the cold dome or high is the only key factor that could change.  The track of the wave in this setup should be prone to only subtle changes.

47 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

1-5" for long island towards city, with city likely seeing higher amounts along with parts of the north shore of long island probably, less roughly southern suffolk county east towards montauk. 

At this point that would seem like a decent call. +/- of course

The weekend storm looks like 1-3 inches for the coast and more to the north and west as of right now. The coast could see higher amounts if the precip comes in earlier than modeled or the cold air hangs out longer.

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

It's pretty identical to euro, just a bit more expansive with heavier precip, and close to GFS too

The Nam spreads the heavier precip to the NW burbs and Orange/Ulster area

CMC and GFS much more QPF along the coast. Really will come down to how much precip fails. I dont buy the NAM warming up temps in NYC area by 15 degrees in 5 hours during heavy precip

Just now, mikem81 said:

CMC and GFS much more QPF along the coast. Really will come down to how much precip fails. I dont buy the NAM warming up temps in NYC area by 15 degrees in 5 hours during heavy precip

Why don't you buy that? That's exactly what's going to happen, SW winds will guarantee this

GFS does the exact same thing

IMG_0809.PNG

IMG_0810.PNG

3 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

It'll warm up very fast once the wind goes south.  Usually in these setups though the south wind shift occurs a bit slower than expected, or more so the speeds are slower than expected for longer.   That happened this Sunday.  The high can sometimes be slower to exit.

1 minute ago, mikem81 said:

The NAM has NYC at 44 degrees at 18Z Sat, GFS has it at 36...

The NAM is warming the BL too early in all likelihood, that is not too unusual.  I just looked at the soundings on BUFKIT.  With a 4kt wind it absolutely skyrockets the temp at LGA from 10-12z while the mid-levels are cold til 15z.  I don't see any way with snow falling and a wind that light, even from the south how the BL warms that fast.

Archived