Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 17-18 Front End Snow/Ice/Rain Event

dmillz25

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Ggem is in general agreement with GFS 3-6" (counting slightly higher than 10:1 ratios)

IMG_0803.PNG

You have to look at soundings to determine ratios. Snow growth has to be good within the snow growth layer-you want between -12 to -18C at around 700mb I think, and no dry layers. 

3 minutes ago, winterwarlock said:

lets not go too crazy with ratios in these types of events, sure some do overperform but I think you need to start with the 10-1 ratio until we see the exact setup and conditions

Agreed. A borderline temp. profile doesn't exactly scream high ratios unless the soundings are showing an exceptionally deep/saturated DGZ. I'll have to take a look when the 12z BUFKIT soundings are available.

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

We looking at the same GFS? Lol

thebthe exception of a 4" strip in Orange County the interior performs just the same as the City, and in spots with elevation better than NYC  (i.e. Sullivan/Gunks

No I was referring to the ggem which looks nothing like the gfs with regards to the higher amounts being N&W (which is where they should end up)

The surface has very little to do with ratios. It's all about the profile and lift where the snowflakes are actually forming, as that determines the snowflake type and density. With the insane WAA modeled at the mid-levels, we can get plenty of lift in the snow growth zone and thus actually get pretty good ratios at times.

2 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

OKX map thru 12/17 @ 7AM:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=20fe2b78d4e66dffStormTotalSnowWeb.png

I saw this earlier today. In the AFD they state they are expecting 1-3 for the City and 2-5 pretty much everywhere else. So based on that i would expect those numbers to bump up in the LHV and CT and pretty much stay the same for NYC and LI. OKX & BOX are staying pretty conservative with this, which i think is always a good idea based on climo and when you have the parent low riding up over the great lakes. There are just not too many events like this that produce widespread warning snows, even on the low end.

It'll be interesting to see BUFKIT when i have the chance later to check out snow growth potential and determining ratios.

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Euro is pretty similar from its 00z counterpart. Very good consistency among all models for this time range i have to say, pretty much model noise at this point. The LHV and NW CT does better this run, still solid for the rest of CT and NYC into NNJ. Good run.

Yep. This has been pretty consistent for the last few days 2-4 for the general area and perhaps higher amounts nw.  

Archived