Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec 17-18 Front End Snow/Ice/Rain Event

dmillz25

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That frontal wave that the models have been focusing in on more in recent runs isn't such good with more sleet and freezing rain.

This would lock in colder temps near the surface especially away from the coast while the LLJ rips with strong WAA aloft.

So areas can see more icing than the models were showing a few days ago. Tomorrow is a big shopping day and

travel across the interior could be very slick.

We are less then 24 hours out so now you start to look for trends on these short range models. Somebody in central Pa and nw jersey is going to get a decent amount of ice. Plus we are clouding over already to help keep temps down 

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

We are less then 24 hours out so now you start to look for trends on these short range models. Somebody in central Pa and nw jersey is going to get a decent amount of ice. Plus we are clouding over already to help keep temps down 

I also think you can add the LHV into the mix too... I am still at 18 degrees... It's supposed to get to 27 today can't see that happening at all!

35 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

You can see the strong surface CAD sig on both the GFS and NAM for NNJ while the WAA cranks up aloft tomorrow morning.

f27.gif

43 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

If the models are correct with the jet streak aloft helping to form a meso surface low offshore on the coastal front, it is going to get very very dangerous north and west of the city. Major freezing rain issues. That would help lock the surface cold in longer as the ripping low level jet out of the south warms the mid levels ahead of the warm front

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Could be I'm missing something, but why does the NWS have advisories up for the I-95 corridor from Trenton to NYC for 1-2" of snowfall, when the criterion is 3" or more for those counties?  Is it the risk of "a few hundredths of an inch" of ice?  And especially for counties in NJ/DE which are SE of I-95 and only expecting an inch or less of snow (and those counties have a 2" advisory criterion).  

New_12hour_WWY_Criteria_2015-16.png

They also almost always issue an advisory for the first significant accumulation of the season.

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

They also almost always issue an advisory for the first significant accumulation of the season.

That was the reasoning for last Sunday's unexpected advisories for counties south of 78.  Was almost certain it wouldn't verify (we got a whole 1/4" of snow), yet we had advisories. I'm pretty sure the rationale today is the ice threat, as I had speculated and others have confirmed; the snow amounts aren't enough.  Especially when the NWS Mt. Holly update at 9:30 am was talking about increased likelihood of ZR.  

7 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

That was the reasoning for last Sunday's unexpected advisories for counties south of 78.  Was almost certain it wouldn't verify (we got a whole 1/4" of snow), yet we had advisories. I'm pretty sure the rationale today is the ice threat, as I had speculated and others have confirmed; the snow amounts aren't enough.  Especially when the NWS Mt. Holly update at 9:30 am was talking about increased likelihood of ZR.  

Yes, they issue an advisory even for a light glaze because of how dangerous it can be.

13 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Props to the nam (if it's right of course) hasn't budged from 84hr out on its colder solution

nams been great this year in this pattern 

Has been an easier pattern even long range for the  EPS in the East with only a slight cold bias. 

CzvKwPIW8AAquae.jpg-small.jpg

Archived