Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec 17-18 Front End Snow/Ice/Rain Event

dmillz25

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Ggem hits LI, NJ harder than Ulster county and north. 3-5 v. 2-3. 

Not sure I buy it but I will take it

The RGEM is similar although for Long Island it's not as snowy.  It has maybe 1-2 by JFK and 3-5 from LGA back into NYC and eastern NJ along the Hudson.  It also has freezing rain accumulations, even for Long Island, although not much.  The RGEM has been pretty steady now on JFK changing over at 12Z and LGA by 13-14Z 

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This trend doesn't surprise me, it's bitterly cold and there's just no way that the changeover to rain starts as soon as was projected this morning. In fact I think that when the change ever does come we're going to see a good deal of freezing rain.  Plus there's always the halo rule whennever I see a prominent halo its usually almost always a good snowstorm 

15 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

go icy. how many times do we see the models fail with warm fronts in the spring? same thing going on tomorrow 

15 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

go icy. how many times do we see the models fail with warm fronts in the spring? same thing going on tomorrow

meso low 

bcf1da0a-4179-4c9e-942c-8ae48023b9d1.gif

22 minutes ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

This trend doesn't surprise me, it's bitterly cold and there's just no way that the changeover to rain starts as soon as was projected this morning. In fact I think that when the change ever does come we're going to see a good deal of freezing rain.  Plus there's always the halo rule whennever I see a prominent halo its usually almost always a good snowstorm 

Flow right off warm water will do it every time. Especially out here. I'm suspect for coastal areas. If it we're February it would be a different story 

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Flow right off warm water will do it every time. Especially out here. I'm suspect for coastal areas. If it we're February it would be a different story 

My comments weren't directed for coastal areas (LI and NYC). I think you guys flip to rain without much ZR in between. Areas 50 miles or more away from the coast is another story, that CAD is gonna hold strong. 

17 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

the cold wedge forces the meso low to form. we have fresh arctic air in place before the storm with very low dewpoints. it won't fully erode until the precip moves out. also notice how the winds are NE from long island on west.

f21.gif

I've been noticing for the last few model runs now how if you look just at the isobars you'd think the winds over NRN NJ and NYC are southerly.  But then you look more closely and realize many of those places are ENE or NE.  I'm still thinking that as far as near the metro area you'll need to go back towards Newark to see any prolonged ice.  I don't even see LGA or NYC holding on long in this setup 

Archived