Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec 17-18 Front End Snow/Ice/Rain Event

dmillz25

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

RGEM takes a diff approach, coastal develops and becomes primary, really robs the interior of decent snow despite everyone north of rockland staying all snow, RGEM is very cold, central and NNJ/NYC make out better than interior 

IMG_0848.PNG

After the ups and downs of this storm this would be a real kick in the ass to most of the HV if it verified.

24 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

gotta love living in the hilly area of the northwest bronx,almost always the last to change over along with inwood and the heights in manhattan.  this is one of those situations where we will do very well up here compared to brooklyn and s.i..

Yeah, I feel good about my position (for once). Granted, I'm not as far north - just outside Fordham.

31 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

RGEM takes a diff approach, coastal develops and becomes primary, really robs the interior of decent snow despite everyone north of rockland staying all snow, RGEM is very cold, central and NNJ/NYC make out better than interior 

IMG_0848.PNG

Models seem to be picking up on the enhanced banding by the rain/snow line in nw suffolk and n. Nassau. 

I would be shocked if the above verified. 2 in on the barrier islands and 5 inches IMBY. 

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Moderate freezing rain arriving around 8 am on GFS and persisting for several hours across NNJ.

ne.gfsptype18-08.gif

No doubt it will be ugly when everyone wakes up tomorrow morning. Looks like the snow begins around midnight give or take, goes to sleet and freezing rain around 9:00am or so then everything should shutoff completely and dryslot around noon. The meso low formation locking the cold air in and freezing rain is going to make for a real problem north and west of the city

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Models seem to be picking up on the enhanced banding by the rain/snow line in nw suffolk and n. Nassau. 

I would be shocked if the above verified. 2 in on the barrier islands and 5 inches IMBY. 

I know this really should go in Met thread, but it pertains to this event and it's a great video from Bernie Rayno 

http://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/accuweather-experts/snow-friday-into-saturday-including-nyc-and-philly/2430839568001

14 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I know this really should go in Met thread, but it pertains to this event and it's a great video from Bernie Rayno 

http://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/accuweather-experts/snow-friday-into-saturday-including-nyc-and-philly/2430839568001

Doesn't really address ice at all... too bad he won't be posting another until post event.

Been discussing in Philly subforum but we have a record low 500mb PV for December in SE Canada influencing our weather here. Largest anomaly since 1948 IIRC. There is also a weak surface wave off of S NJ that the short range hi-res models are seeing as more and more of a player. This is somewhat unchartered territory and there will be icy surprises tomorrow for many. 18z rgem never even turns to plain rain here at all in SE PA now. The trend colder at 2m is clear.

It's the 12KM. I think that it's deepening the LP too fast and eroding the CAD sig too too soon. The 4KM NAM and GFS aren't as amped up and maintain the CAD a little longer.

Agreed. I really find the 4km useful in these situations. That record 500mb height anomaly is the elephant in the room with this forecast imo and of course that weak coastal wave which looks to be just enough of a player to keep llc from scouring out as quickly as we thought 36 hrs+ ago.

Archived