Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 12 Snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Another thing to remember is there's a lot of wet-bulbing room in SNE...its 32/12 at BDL and 28/10 at ORH.  ORH even had some single digit dews this afternoon and RH under 40%.

The dry air in the low levels should help tick temps down a decent bit once precip rolls in.

Yeah to some extent... only issue is going to be southerly winds. BDL is out of the south now at 7 knots... that's not exactly what you want to see for locking in the cold.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I think you'll have something...its been very cold early on so the ground has to be pretty frozen so its not like it'll be melting from the ground up and from the air like some early season events.  Probably something where it melts and falls off the trees but you have something left on the grass and deck.

If the NAM and HRRR are right I get almost nothing so it won't matter .  If the RGEM is right .. I could have full coverage . Too much stress 

Just now, CT Rain said:

Yeah to some extent... only issue is going to be southerly winds. BDL is out of the south now at 7 knots... that's not exactly what you want to see for locking in the cold.

True, probably will help more in the areas that can lock in the cold like the east slopes and ORH hills... but yeah maybe its one of those things where we see the dews jump up by 10-15 degrees and the ambient temp only drops a couple degrees.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

If the NAM and HRRR are right I get almost nothing so it won't matter .  If the RGEM is right .. I could have full coverage . Too much stress 

I agree with Will though... you get 2.5" or more I think you'll have coverage.  You're right though, an inch or something and it disappears.

Hopefully it busts cold for you or that the precip moves in with full body before the warmth tries to overrun it.

11 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Well, I was expecting 1-3 overnight Sunday and pretty much washed away by Monday PM. Not too surprised, but of course would have been nice if the colder version anticipated a few days ago had verified. On to the next one.

Aren't you in Worcester?   You'll do way better than that.

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think you are being a bit too negative .

His emotional swings over a 1 inch difference in a snowfall algorithm output is amusing.  

Ive seen those maps give me 3" on a SWFE and end up with double that. Esp when you are near the transition zone during the heaviest precip rate. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

His emotional swings over a 1 inch difference in a snowfall algorithm output is amusing.  

Ive seen those maps give me 3" on a SWFE and end up with double that. Esp when you are near the transition zone during the heaviest precip rate. 

Wx is emotional. I think we all know that. With snowfall being the most emotionally exhausting. 

Just going to have to hold off those 925 torched temps from racing north. If the rates are heavy that could help hold it south . But if rates are higher 90 north then it's lights out here

In ORH here. May get lucky and do better than I thought, but CNE NNE get the best out of this. Anyhow, it really is just weather. Not like our emotional state changes anything so might as well just enjoy it for the science. Based on the 925/950 proverbial "torch", I was under the impression we hit 7 or 8 C tomorrow at 2 m which pretty much melts anything under 3 inches unless it is very short duration.

34 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

In ORH here. May get lucky and do better than I thought, but CNE NNE get the best out of this. Anyhow, it really is just weather. Not like our emotional state changes anything so might as well just enjoy it for the science. Based on the 925/950 proverbial "torch", I was under the impression we hit 7 or 8 C tomorrow at 2 m which pretty much melts anything under 3 inches unless it is very short duration.

Why do you keep using Celsius? Anyway you aren't hitting 46-47F. If you did it would literally be for like an hour. It's possible it doesn't get out of the 30s. 

I've been away from computer and haven't seen 18z stuff, but I think my group briefed on 1-2" for Logan with the caveat of a burst getting them a bit more should that happen. I could see the west side of the city getting a good 2-3. We'll have to see how the fluff tonight works out along with any stuff coming up from the south.

Archived