Newest Member
    joxey
Dec. 4th Snow Event

Chicago Storm

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, slimjim101 said:

Waiting for the snow to move in.  The Temperature here is 38° and the reading at the airport is 36° the DP is 25° so that should bring down the temperature once the snow starts here. Also with the later start time the snow should continue until after sun set and that should add to the total (if we can get the temperature down) on the other hand it has not been below freezing here since November 23rd so the ground is still “warm”

I was thinking the same thing about the later start, Jim. We should be able to get snow on the roads pretty easily once the sun goes down.

Finally starting to see some flakes here.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Awesome pics Cyclone congrats!

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Congrats on the pounding Cyclone. The HRRR pretty much nailed this late yesterday for your area. Even its snowfall totals were underdone a little.

Thanks, yeah it did really well.  Even the old RAP did really well, as it forecast over 0.6" of precip.  So far the measurements of precip from DVN/MLI seem suspiciously low at 0.30/0.44 respectively).  Guessing more precip fell than that, as I highly doubt our ratios are 20:1.  Although definitely higher than 10:1.  Radar estimates 0.7-0.9" in those areas, which seems a bit more reasonable/believable.  Wish I could do a core sample like Hawkeye does.

Still snowing heavily.

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

wow cyclone i am jealous, but you certainly deserve it!

Thanks bud.

Official measurements just came in from DVN/MLI.  DVN with nearly 20:1 LSR, and MLI with around 10:1.  Interesting.  I can see how LSRs can range quite a bit from location to location with the banding that was in place earlier.  

8 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Averaged 8.6" here a bit ago.  Still snowing heavily.  Measured a few 10" spots in the grass.  Even the sidewalks/drive have 5-6" now, with some slushiness underneath.

Impressive stuff.  

The northern stream s/w involved with this system seems to have trended a bit deeper compared to earlier runs, so that probably explains the increasing qpf as we got closer.

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Averaged 8.6" here a bit ago.  Still snowing heavily.  Measured a few 10" spots in the grass.  Even the sidewalks/drive have 5-6" now, with some slushiness underneath.

Sweet! It would be pretty sweet if you made it to a foot.

Poundtown city here along the Lake Michigan shoreline now. Easily 1" + snow rates right now.

Wouldn't be surprised to see GRR update to winter weather advisories seeing what has happened upstream and the heavy bands now riding along the lakeshore.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Impressive stuff.  

The northern stream s/w involved with this system seems to have trended a bit deeper compared to earlier runs, so that probably explains the increasing qpf as we got closer.

Yeah it seemed to help draw up a lot more moisture.  Funny thing is, about a week or so ago the Euro had a big snow for today for much of this area.  It had deepened the southern wave and brought it northward.  Funny how a similar scenario panned out (minus the blizzard conditions) in the end lol.

The last snow report for SPI that have seen from ILX's page was 1.2 at Capital Airport as of noon.  It's almost 2PM and has continuously been snowing since then, and huge flakes now.  Wouldn't surprise me if we see at least 2-3 in most of the immediate Springfield area before the storm wraps up in the next few hours.

I'm also surprised (and this was based on how the roads were in the city as I was driving home from church around noon) that ILX didn't consider possibly extending the WWA perhaps to the I-72 corridor for this afternoon.

Archived