joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec. 4th Snow Event

Chicago Storm

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice little uptick there by the NAM.  The 12z UK was pretty juicy as well.  If the HRRR is right, low-end warning criteria isn't out of the question in isolated areas north of I-80 in Iowa.  

EDIT:  Gonna up my call for here/QC to 4".  5-6" for the Hawk.

EDIT#2:  Bears game at Soldier Field should be fun to watch tomorrow.

Latest HRRR has 6" for Moline using a 10:1 ratio.  Kuchera map has 4-5" as ratios are under 10:1.  

Seeing some indications of slightly better precip rates possibly evolving roughly along/south of I-80 in IL/IN during the day on Sunday.  Temps more uncertain there though.

New Euro gives parts of eastern IA 6" of snow based on a 10:1 ratio.  QC about 5".  LSRs likely a tad under that, but I wouldn't be surprised if amounts get close to those figures.  

Top down saturation underway here.  Radar estimates the snow is still about 5kft above us.  Best rates look to be between 7am and 1pm tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Been hanging at 29-30 degrees for about 6 hours.  

All things considered, I like the 2-3" call here.  I think there's a better chance at coming in at or just over the top end than there is at coming in at the bottom end.

Yeah the temps have remained cold enough the last few days that the ground temp shouldn't be a big issue.  If it weren't for the marginal BL temperatures I'd be riding a solid 10-12:1 LSR.  Temps at, or just above freezing will likely drop LSRs slightly below 10:1 unfortunately. 

43 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah the temps have remained cold enough the last few days that the ground temp shouldn't be a big issue.  If it weren't for the marginal BL temperatures I'd be riding a solid 10-12:1 LSR.  Temps at, or just above freezing will likely drop LSRs slightly below 10:1 unfortunately. 

If it weren't for the temps I think there would be a few hour window where it snows about 1" per hour.  Probably going to have a little too much melting.

1 minute ago, Thundersnow12 said:

It is. An extra .10" liquid across northern IL. 

.40"+ now 

I'd think that LOT will expand the advisory farther east.  Still have the uncertainty with temps but increasing evidence of higher precip amounts and a window where it may come down fairly hard.

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

HRRRCHI_prec_snow_018.png

HRRRCHI_prec_kuchsnow_018.png

The Intellicast forecast (FWIW) for Springfield now has 3-5 inches predicted for SPI--we're getting some decent flurries now but I'd be shocked if we got much more than an inch here by tonight.  Still, it's enough to make me decide to take my snow shovel out of my apartment and into my car this morning as I head to church here in the next hour or so.

Nice little overachiever here in St Paul. Just measured a little over 3".  Nice fluffy snow considering it wasn't overly cold. Back edge of the snow pushed thru. Too bad 39F is in the point for tomorrow before the arctic air hits on Tuesday. It would be nice to have the white stick around for a while. 

Good luck to to those of you downstream today. Enjoy the flakes!

IMG_0080.JPG

We had an initial burst of snow before 2am that whitened the grass (half inch maybe), but it melted by 3am.  The main batch of snow has dropped 2.5 -3.2 inches so far (2.5 on the grass/snow board, 3.2 on the car where less melting has occurred).  An obvious heavier band has set up through the Quad Cities.  A guy south of Iowa City says big flakes are pouring down, putting him at 3 inches.  Cyclone should be seeing some nice flakes.  Up here the flakes are more moderate size.

The temp is still slightly above freezing.

Happy for you guys in the Iowa region...you haven't had many opportunities over the past several years to get the heaviest snows.

Even with temps going up to around 40 the next two days, I think many will still have some snow left for when the arctic blast hits. Wet snow usually takes longer to melt, especially if it has the chance to freeze and crust over at night.

Pure rippage out there right now.  With these big fatties raining down on a consistent basis, our LSRs are likely above 10:1, which is likely contributing to these higher totals than expected.  It's a regular dendrite fest out there lol.  

Measured over 5" a half hour or so ago.  First warning criteria event in the bag.

Some quick picks in the backyard.

fmos28.jpg

10nrplg.jpg

2eeamwn.jpg

315xxfd.jpg

351guab.jpg

Archived