joxey
Dec. 4th Snow Event

Chicago Storm

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Total of 5" here

After last year's November storm and now this, I'm not sure what happened to the concept of the first measurable snow of the season being something that barely leaves any evidence behind.  I'll take it though.

I think I hear skilling say it is the largest single day first measurable snow on record for the city. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That is correct...single day but not largest first measurable storm.  Prelim 6.1" at ORD

Should note that besides being the largest single day first measurable snow at ORD, it will also rank in the top 3 largest first measurable snows when including storms that spanned more than one day. The November 20-21, 2015 storm holds that top mark.  Each year is a separate entity but it's pretty crazy to get this to happen in consecutive years.

If youre going to get screwed, get screwed in a marginal early season event lol. Started as wet snow here, and since it has been a mix of rain and snow. It looks like snow, but you hear the ticking of raindrops. Just 7 miles west of me at DTW is a slushy half inch, and was pretty much all snow (like 3-1 ratio snow), and more west of there. Rare to see such cutoffs, but again, if you are going to get screwed, this is the time. My brother sent me a pic from Chicago. He lives near Alek, looked like an inch or so, obviously the marginal temps on the water screwed him based on surrounding reports.

29 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

My brother sent me a pic from Chicago. He lives near Alek, looked like an inch or so, obviously the marginal temps on the water screwed him based on surrounding reports.

I was wondering about the city, given the lack of reports from the core/lakeshore area (I think I saw 1.5" in Evanston earlier). Dang, that is reminiscent of the Nov 20-21 storm from last year.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I was wondering about the city, given the lack of reports from the core/lakeshore area (I think I saw 1.5" in Evanston earlier). Dang, that is reminiscent of the Nov 20-21 storm from last year.

His snow will probably be toast tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how much/little melts in the harder hit areas before the deepfreeze.

Kind of depressing. Living on the west side of Indy we were like 10 miles south of where the farthest the rain/snow line got. I at least wanted to see a period of big flakes or even flurries. Oh well I'm sure Central Indiana will get in on something big in the upcoming pattern. All you guys to the north are lucky though

54 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I never thought we'd ever top last season's heaviest first measurable snowfall of 8.5", but we did it just one year later lol.  

There's no doubt now that we definitely benefited from much higher LSRs than expected.  Our snow depth was nearly 10" this afternoon, and has already compacted/melted back to around 6".  Must be some melting from underneath as well.  The snow is now very dense, as opposed to the fluffiness from earlier.  This event sort of reminds me of that super clipper from Dec 2010.  Only expected 4-5" or something, and ended up with over 10" that time.  

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I never thought we'd ever top last season's heaviest first measurable snowfall of 8.5", but we did it just one year later lol.  

There's no doubt now that we definitely benefited from much higher LSRs than expected.  Our snow depth was nearly 10" this afternoon, and has already compacted/melted back to around 6".  Must be some melting from underneath as well.  The snow is now very dense, as opposed to the fluffiness from earlier.  This event sort of reminds me of that super clipper from Dec 2010.  Only expected 4-5" or something, and ended up with over 10" that time.  

Noticed that it's 35 in Moline.  

16 hours ago, zinski1990 said:

Kind of depressing. Living on the west side of Indy we were like 10 miles south of where the farthest the rain/snow line got. I at least wanted to see a period of big flakes or even flurries. Oh well I'm sure Central Indiana will get in on something big in the upcoming pattern. All you guys to the north are lucky though

Yeah, I spent the night down by Greenwood and only rain there.  No trace of anything here at my home on the ne side in Fortville.  Good to have you on board to let me know when tornadoes are dancing around Avon like earlier this year.  Welcome.

Yeah, I spent the night down by Greenwood and only rain there.  No trace of anything here at my home on the ne side in Fortville.  Good to have you on board to let me know when tornadoes are dancing around Avon like earlier this year.  Welcome.

Nothing in Anderson either. Keep going north for that line I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived