joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The White Christmas thing is an interesting phenomenon. Is it the gift of Bing Crosby, or, has there always been a WC cult here in the Northeast? Most of the country very rarely to never sees one--basically everyone south of 40N except for the high mountains out west.

Yet we live north of 40N...so...

Even so what is the deal for Christmas as opposed to all the days around it? Why care about snow on the ground on the 25th vs the 23rd and the 27th?

Please use the reply feature when replying.

There are many, many cultural traditions surrounding Christmas that feature snow. Not just one song.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't think it matters for SNE with this one, esp south of pike. It's getting too late for massive changes. I mean maybe it could get flatter, but this isn't a pattern that would really force a flat solution this close.

That 1035mb retreating high SE of ACK screams locked in cold.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

In Los Angeles, a lot of people put a fake white blanket on their lawns loosely resembling snow.   It was really funny to watch that shrivel up in the rain...lol.

Fascinating. Sort of like the fake palm trees outside of Pedro's (awesome) Mexican restaurant in Kennebunkport, Maine. They take on a whole different aura in the winter. Anyhow, the white Christmas thing seems to create more angst and depression than its worth when it doesn't happen. Don't get me wrong, I like them, too. It just doesn't seem worth the investment. If I had my way we would have Caribou, Maine (or UP Michigan) winters and St John, NL summers. Ain't gonna happen in Worcester, so its not worth getting all worked up about it. Likewise, white Christmas. We get them maybe 50% or 60% of the time if you count the measly barely covering the grass ones. Anyhow, guess this is banter, so back to the models.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Growing up in the Northeast, It just does not seem appropriate to have brown grass on Christmas

As long as the torch doesn't wipe out N. Aroostook...I can deal with the mild around these parts for the holiday if need be.  Hope it's short lived and muted as we approach.  Still a long way off to be certain, especially with the way the long term has been so volatile lately...anything is possible.

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:
As long as the torch doesn't wipe out N. Aroostook...I can deal with the mild around these parts for the holiday if need be.  Hope it's short lived and muted as we approach.  Still a long way off to be certain, especially with the way the long term has been so volatile lately...anything is possible.

At that Lat up there they would not get wiped out unless there were several heavy rainers and temps in the 50's, I just don't see it, In this fast flow, As crappy as last winter was for many of us here, I know guys that still put on over 2,000 miles of riding up there, Model runs will change from run to run so I don't place much stock in them until we get inside 5 days

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

My feeling as well.  If we can't keep it cold here, then keep them in the freezer at least.  Nothing is carved in stone yet, let's see how things play out.

I had added a caveat to that post above, As bad as last winter was for most here, I had friends of mine still put on over 2,000 miles last winter up there if that gives you any indication of how they hold onto snow conditions and actually get snow in a blow torch pattern.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Giant snow eraser to the border . Ugly

Could be worse and we don't get the 6-8 hours of holiday spirit snowfall before hand. It won't erase it to the border...not a long enough torch up in far NNE...could be ugly for CNE and southward though.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Could be worse and we don't get the 6-8 hours of holiday spirit snowfall before hand. It won't erase it to the border...not a long enough torch up in far NNE...could be ugly for CNE and southward though.

It just ruins it for everyone. No need to plow or shovel. Sledding at noon.. mowing at midnight. Just like we discussed the other night about the 80's.

https://g.co/kgs/ncCvr0

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It just ruins it for everyone. No need to plow or shovel. Sledding at noon.. mowing at midnight. Just like we discussed the other night about the 80's.

https://g.co/kgs/ncCvr0

Yes...def a 1980s-esque storm.

But at least the snow is during the day and the banana hammocks are at night...better than the other way around, lol.

It's too bad because these systems could easily slide south of us if we had a nuance break our way either up north in the form of confluence or to the southwest in the form of hanging back energy...but we knew this was the downside risk to this pattern...a 1980s snow to rain storm.

Archived