Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

9 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I don't think anyone should be. You, Will, etc have pointed out potential issues with this pattern, and what it could look like moving forward.

There is no obvious winter killing feature present at this time... so who knows where we are 3 weeks or 2 months from now.

Perfectly put!

But you know the drill.....It's either the confident "Winter is here and locked in"  type of talk, or the "catastrophe rhetoric" like we are seeing now.  We couldn't buy a snowflake or day in the 40's last December.  This December may break records in couple days with the cold coming, and we've had 4 snowfalls(granted they've been minor in SNE), but nonetheless snowfalls.  Not bad at all in my opinion for December in SNE.  About as it should be.  

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm bummed about Sat night though. What can you do.

Yeah we're still drinking pina coladas in speedos on Sat night.

Only hope is that we see SW energy hang back a bit more...it did this run which is what I think helped that initial wave be flatter. But we want to try and blunt that secondary pulse of energy which causes the cutter. I don't think we'll be able to stop it, but maybe we can get it a bit flatter and prolong the front side enough to give us a net gainer...that's my optimistic scenario.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Only hope is that we see SW energy hang back a bit more...it did this run which is what I think helped that initial wave be flatter. But we want to try and blunt that secondary pulse of energy which causes the cutter. I don't think we'll be able to stop it, but maybe we can get it a bit flatter and prolong the front side enough to give us a net gainer...that's my optimistic scenario.

Look at that furnace though..good God. That's gonna have rivers overflowing into PFs condo. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Glass half-full.  I'm hoping we can get enough of a front-end on top of yesterday's 6 to allow for coverage to remain.  The general consensus here if "forget about it".  Kind of a buzz-kill.

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

Glass half-full.  I'm hoping we can get enough of a front-end on top of yesterday's 6 to allow for coverage to remain.  The general consensus here if "forget about it".  Kind of a buzz-kill.

We'll still have some snow on the ground here Monday if we add a few inches on Saturday. You may warm quicker than me though. 

Based on the posts here, BOX needs some major rewriting of the GC forecast:

Friday Night
Snow likely. Cold with lows zero to 5 above zero. Chance of snow 60 percent.
Saturday
Snow likely. Not as cool with highs in the lower 30s. Chance of snow 70 percent.
Saturday Night
Rain likely with a chance of sleet. Not as cool with lows around 30. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Sunday
Rain likely. Not as cool with highs in the lower 40s. Temperature falling into the mid 30s in the afternoon. Chance of rain 70 percent.

2 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Just hope we don't have an 18-24 hour warm sector...those are the snow pack destroyers.

Friday Night
Saturday
Snow likely. Not as cool with highs in the lower 30s. Chance of snow 70 percent.
Saturday Night
Rain likely with a chance of sleet. Not as cool with lows around 30. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Sunday
Rain likely. Not as cool with highs in the lower 40s. Temperature falling into the mid 30s in the afternoon. Chance of rain 70 percent.

I'm sure you being tucked into the east sloped will help to a point.

Friday Night
Saturday
Saturday Night
Sunday

Point and click fetish....

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Is this still a Euro model bias?

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

I may have had a few more then a handful that we didn't have one, And probably most of them has come in the last 20 yrs or so in my 59 years..........

Brown Christmas records:

BGR (1973-75)  2 of 3.  Only 1975 had snow.

Ft.Kent (76-84)  zero of 9, and only 79 and 82 had less than 10"

Gardiner (85-97)  4 or 5 of 13 (Don't have all my records at hand)

New Sharon (98 on)  3 of 18: 99, 06, 15

CAR:  6 of 76, but 4 came 1998-2010.  Those winters averaged 102% of avg snow.

Ft. Kent:  1 of 61, winter had 105% of avg snow.  

12/25/2006 was brown for all of the above locations.   Edit:  Top 4 spots are my residences, bottom 2 the WFO and Co-op sites.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How many water mains will explode by Monday morning?

I already programmed high heat positive pressure here for the Thursday to Sat night period. The wind driving that cold is what screws pipes in buildings. underground piping should be OK as the frost is minimal and lot of the cold will be absorbed by the warmer soil

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I already programmed high heat positive pressure here for the Thursday to Sat night period. The wind driving that cold is what screws pipes in buildings. underground piping should be OK as the frost is minimal and lot of the cold will be absorbed by the warmer soil

Can picture Christmas decorations becoming projectiles Sunday as the CAA rips in. Snowmen and Santas airborne  

Archived