Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Point and click fetish....

LOL--that was the ZFP.  Here's the p/c.

Friday Night
Snow likely, mainly after 3am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 5. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday
Snow likely, mainly before 5pm. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Saturday Night
A chance of snow and sleet before 7pm, then sleet likely between 7pm and midnight, then rain likely after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Sunday
Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

It's Tuesday and the discussion is extraordinarily certain about the weekend event. Is it really that locked in?

Discussion is about model output I believe.

Precisely, but the discussion seems to have it locked in as  a very nearly absolute certainty. Is it simply because of model/ensemble agreement? I'm reading some remarks about flattening of the wave(s), but that's the only hint that things might turn out differently.

I'm interested in understanding the discussion about temps in the high 50'sF for twelve plus hours by some. That's a big jump from low to mid 40'sF for a few hours, or, an even colder solution.

I am NOT looking for wishcasting.

17 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Discussion is about model output I believe.

Precisely, but the discussion seems to have it locked in as  a very nearly absolute certainty. Is it simply because of model/ensemble agreement? I'm reading some remarks about flattening of the wave(s), but that's the only hint that things might turn out differently.

I'm interested in understanding the discussion about temps in the high 50'sF for twelve plus hours by some. That's a big jump from low to mid 40'sF for a few hours, or, an even colder solution.

I am NOT looking for wishcasting.

Are you talking to yourself again?

6 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Any discussion about the certainty factor? I'm not invested either way, but why SO certain about ripping into the 50's F for 12-18 hours this far out?

Based on what I see, we will warm sector big time. Unless this collapses flat..I don't see how at least near and south of pike aren't torching for 12-18 hrs.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Based on what I see, we will warm sector big time. Unless this collapses flat..I don't see how at least near and south of pike aren't torching for 12-18 hrs.

And the likelihood of it collapsing seems vanishingly remote. Let's hope it's not pouring the whole time. It would be quite pleasant if it were that mild without the rain.

For the all or nothing crowd, I'd prefer a raging blizzard, but if its gotta warm up, it would be nice if it were dry enough out there to enjoy it.

36 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Will the resorts have to shut down do you think?

Well I don’t think permanently (fingers crossed), but based on the forecast over the next couple of weeks, it’s looking like they would have to close through at least mid-January.  It’s unfortunate timing with the big holiday period looming.  It’s going to be a major financial hit to the local economy, but it is what it is I guess.

Just now, J.Spin said:

Well I don’t think permanently (fingers crossed), but based on the forecast over the next couple of weeks, it’s looking like they would have to close through at least mid-January.  It’s unfortunate timing with the big holiday period looming.  It’s going to be a major financial hit to the local economy, but it is what it is I guess.

Ugh.  Hopefully not .  Maybe the warm sectors stay south of you guys . Or at least minimal time in them 

1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

This seems unlikely.  While there certainly look to be some torch times in there over the next 2-3 weeks, there are also significant stretches where snowmaking temps (at least at night) occur.

Even little Wa-Wa can stay open with manmade.    

33 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

This seems unlikely.  While there certainly look to be some torch times in there over the next 2-3 weeks, there are also significant stretches where snowmaking temps (at least at night) occur.

Even little Wa-Wa can stay open with manmade.    

Looks like you were an accidental casualty of taking the bait intended for Kevin :P

Euro Ens hold on to the cold a little longer up north it looks like Saturday evening. Pretty similar look to the op as far as snow goes.

FWIw, I haven't seen individual EC ensemble members, but there's several GEFS members that are quite a bit flatter than the OP runs we've seen. Now I wouldn't go hanging your hat on these runs, but it does suggest that at least there is some variance in there, so a somewhat flatter solution isn't impossible...in an era when we complain about the ensembles mimicking the OP runs a lot.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

FWIw, I haven't seen individual EC ensemble members, but there's several GEFS members that are quite a bit flatter than the OP runs we've seen. Now I wouldn't go hanging your hat on these runs, but it does suggest that at least there is some variance in there, so a somewhat flatter solution isn't impossible...in an era when we complain about the ensembles mimicking the OP runs a lot.

How would this play out in terms of sensible weather?

Just now, J Paul Gordon said:

How would this play out in terms of sensible weather?

Flatter equals less time in the warm sector and probably a bit more snow and a bit more icing in the interior. Some of the members never warm sectored us and kept us frozen...that's an extreme that I think is a very low probability, but something less obnoxiously warm than some of these OP runs is certainly not out of the question.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Flatter equals less time in the warm sector and probably a bit more snow and a bit more icing in the interior. Some of the members never warm sectored us and kept us frozen...that's an extreme that I think is a very low probability, but something less obnoxiously warm than some of these OP runs is certainly not out of the question.

Thank you. I've been having a bit of a problem following the sheer number of posts. I was under the impression that the warmest solutions were a virtual certainty and wondered how it could be so this far out.

Not looking for confirmation of what I'd like to happen (big time snow, like most everyone else here), just trying to get how the experts know degrees of likelihood at a distance of several days. I get that once we are within three, maybe four, days things tend to lock.

Your clear and simple explanation helps

8 minutes ago, SR Airglow said:

Looks like you were an accidental casualty of taking the bait intended for Kevin :P

Euro Ens hold on to the cold a little longer up north it looks like Saturday evening. Pretty similar look to the op as far as snow goes.

LOL dude melts snow to the Canadian border every year around this time. 12 hours in the 40's at worst in ski country

Archived