joxey
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes...def a 1980s-esque storm.

But at least the snow is during the day and the banana hammocks are at night...better than the other way around, lol.

It's too bad because these systems could easily slide south of us if we had a nuance break our way either up north in the form of confluence or to the southwest in the form of hanging back energy...but we knew this was the downside risk to this pattern...a 1980s snow to rain storm.

Thats how I remember them happening then. Going to bed under 4-8" pack and waking up to Chemlawn applying a fertilizer application 

6" was like getting 12-18" nowadays. I'm not kidding. You kiddies have no idea the horror we endured. Of course we didn't really know any better....we just had to listen to our parents talking about the 50s and 60s and dream about winters that they spoke of. Then '92-'93 came and a new regime came aboard.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

6" was like getting 12-18" nowadays. I'm not kidding. You kiddies have no idea the horror we endured. Of course we didn't really know any better....we just had to listen to our parents talking about the 50s and 60s and dream about winters that they spoke of. Then '92-'93 came and a new regime came aboard.

Sick feeling that era is back. Hopefully the hairstyles and Cosby sweaters are not 

The high temp last year in ORH was 60 on Christmas Eve and 65 on Christmas Day. It may (just may) be in the mid 40's this year.  Let's put thing in perspective. It isn't the December we may want, but it sure ain't 2015, either.

By the way, are we looking at several hours in the mid 40's with dews the same on Sunday or are we looking at mid 50's?

Just maybe there is some overreacting. Or maybe I'm just influenced by a beautiful 7 inch snow pack in my backyard. But we do have an incoming arctic blast a snow to freezing rain the rain storm which will solidify at least my pack. And then another arctic blast and then another storm the form of which we  don't know yet. But this year does not look like a year where we would get an extreme pattern change. I suspect there will be ups and downs and backs and forth but the Arctic air certainly seems to want to be here and we have a good snow back in Canada to create some high-pressure and some confluence of times maybe 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There are still some good months in the 1980s

March 1984 for Boston had over 30" of snow for example

No, it had over 30" in ORH...BOS had 19".

The 1980s basically had 3 good winters...1981-1982, 1983-1984, and 1986-1987. 1987-1988 was decent. The rest were almost insufferable...and include the 1989-1990 through 1991-1992 winters in that bunch...just horrific.

meh, i like the look and feel of it snowing. clenching my cheeks regarding what happens to my snowpack afterwards is painful and pointless. i dont live in the nne resorts, enjoy the snow at the moment then if it washes away so be it. 

gfs looks ok for several inches in wct during the day, which will be a nice change from the too oftennightime snows.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

No, it had over 30" in ORH...BOS had 19".

The 1980s basically had 3 good winters...1981-1982, 1983-1984, and 1986-1987. 1987-1988 was decent. The rest were almost insufferable...and include the 1989-1990 through 1991-1992 winters in that bunch...just horrific.

I guess I am looking at some bad data

http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_BostonLoganIntLArpt_Boston_MA_March.html

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

At that Lat up there they would not get wiped out unless there were several heavy rainers and temps in the 50's, I just don't see it, In this fast flow, As crappy as last winter was for many of us here, I know guys that still put on over 2,000 miles of riding up there, Model runs will change from run to run so I don't place much stock in them until we get inside 5 days

heading up there friday hopefully.

7 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Just maybe there is some overreacting. Or maybe I'm just influenced by a beautiful 7 inch snow pack in my backyard. But we do have an incoming arctic blast a snow to freezing rain the  rain storm which will solidify at least my pack. And then another arctic blast and then another storm the form of which we  don't know yet. But this year does not look like a year where we would get an extreme pattern change. I suspect there will be ups and downs and backs and forth but the Arctic air certainly seems to want to be here and we have a good snow back in Canada to create some high-pressure and some confluence of times maybe 

Dream on 

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm not worried at this time.

I don't think anyone should be. You, Will, etc have pointed out potential issues with this pattern, and what it could look like moving forward.

There is no obvious winter killing feature present at this time... so who knows where we are 3 weeks or 2 months from now.

Archived