Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

3 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Bring it on.

Hopefully, I can have 7-10" of snow on the ground before the rain Saturday night.   I might be delusional, but I think my snow will weather the rain and mild-up.

It's not delusional. There are scenarios on several models that would be sufficient to preserve your snow. But there's some that will wipe it out too. It just depends which scenario happens. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, J Paul Gordon said:

The White Christmas thing is an interesting phenomenon. Is it the gift of Bing Crosby, or, has there always been a WC cult here in the Northeast? Most of the country very rarely to never sees one--basically everyone south of 40N except for the high mountains out west.

Well it says it right there in the song, "dreaming of a white Christmas" :raining:

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Disaster on the GGEM. Trended worse. 

I'm toggling between 102 on the 0z and 114 on the 12z and it looks like the 0z is colder by a tick across the board, especially up north. What am I missing/what happens after that?

Scratch that - 108 is ugly. Damn, I thought it had a better look to it earlier on. Thankfully it's the GGEM so I'm not worried about it - curious to see if the Euro follows the GFS or if it's on it's own here.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

GFS is a good deal cooler than this time last night. Lopped several degrees of the max wet bulb temps aloft.

It has a really hard time warm sectoring northern areas. Another tick and areas from powderfreak to Rangeley would avoid it at all. But we need it to continue. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It has a really hard time warm sectoring northern areas. Another tick and areas from powderfreak to Rangeley would avoid it at all. But we need it to continue. 

I'm chunking my way through the thread right now to catch up, but in response to your comment earlier about the individual EPS members, it looks like a a pretty scatter shot MLSP pattern. A good split between amped, middle of the road, and flat/weak.

Just now, dryslot said:

0z GGEM was a furnace aloft pushed the 552 thickness up into northern ME with the primary about 75 mikes further west and about 8 mb stronger

The big killer on a GGEM solution is the duration of the warm sector. It's a slow cutter that just torches us for 18+ hours. A gfs scenario is much faster with the warmth since that northern energy outruns the southern for a while and keeps the whole trough somewhat flat until late in the game. 

We want the front runner wave to "steal" the baroclinic zone as much as possible to sort of force that cold front south a little and essentially turn the main cutter into a fairly quick FROPA. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The big killer on a GGEM solution is the duration of the warm sector. It's a slow cutter that just torches us for 18+ hours. A gfs scenario is much faster with the warmth since that northern energy outruns the southern for a while and keeps the whole trough somewhat flat until late in the game. 

We want the front runner wave to "steal" the baroclinic zone as much as possible to sort of force that cold front south a little and essentially turn the main cutter into a fairly quick FROPA. 

Yeah, if we can get the second wave to act more like an occlusion that sweeps through with a brief warm up as we mix out followed by cool down. 

Yeah, if we can get the second wave to act more like an occlusion that sweeps through with a brief warm up as we mix out followed by cool down. 

Even the gfs as is isn't so bad. Might be a net gainer down here even. That's a pretty good front ender...it has to withstand about 8-10 hours of warm sector but who knows. That might be overplayed a bit in the interior. 

The euro will prob come in now with Bermuda visiting Montreal for 12 hours. 

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even the gfs as is isn't so bad. Might be a net gainer down here even. That's a pretty good front ender...it has to withstand about 8-10 hours of warm sector but who knows. That might be overplayed a bit in the interior. 

The euro will prob come in now with Bermuda visiting Montreal for 12 hours. 

Close.

This is what BOX was talking about in yesterday's AFD, and Benjamin and I were discussing tonight. All the available guidance shows a PV lobe swinging through with dynamic tropopause pressures around 700 mb. The exact location varies from model to model (this is the GFS) but it's quite an intrusion. Plotted on the 1.5 PVU surface here are pressure and winds. So if we can mix to the tropopause like some model guidance suggests, we could mix these jet level winds down. I see a few 50-55 kt flags in there across southern NH. 

Trop.jpeg

This is what BOX was talking about in yesterday's AFD, and Benjamin and I were discussing tonight. All the available guidance shows a PV lobe swinging through with dynamic tropopause pressures around 700 mb. The exact location varies from model to model (this is the GFS) but it's quite an intrusion. Plotted on the 1.5 PVU surface here are pressure and winds. So if we can mix to the tropopause like some model guidance suggests, we could mix these jet level winds down. I see a few 50-55 kt flags in there across southern NH. 

Trop.jpeg

Where do some of the other models have it?

Archived