joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not going to lie, the past two days have felt wonderful in town.  This week will do a number on the snowpack.  

Its too deep to notice above 1,200ft but at 750ft you can already easily tell how aspect is coming into play.  South facing roofs melting and south facing spots under evergreens already showing some ground (though under the evergreens there rarely seems to be more than 6" anyway).  Meanwhile north facing and shaded areas have a solid couple feet.  I'm probably at 18" at my stake at home.  

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Getting well into the 60's with 850's like +3 and 925's like +8 in Feb doesn't seem right :lol:  just seems like the threshold for obtaining higher temperatures is becoming less and less.  

I wonder what the temp profile was like for the old records on this day 

Yes, I've noticed this. Even earlier this winter when 850s were like -10C, highs were still in the mid 30s. 

22 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

6:20PM and still a decent glow on the western horizon

Winter is fading

Grilling outside tonight with the mild temps reenforces that.  Also, the dog it perfectly content to stay out side.  Usually in the winter, it's letting her in/out every 15 minutes.  That's one of the good things of the warm seasons.  She goes out after breakfast and typically doesn't come back in until dinner.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I want to start a little research thing on this...I'm sure there is stuff going on but always more fun to do your own 

Mid 30s and -10C 850s are nbd with good mixing. That only a delta T of 12C. 850s were higher than +3C in your area today too...more like +6C. Get a sunny downslope dandy day with warm mid-levels and we can torch away...snowpack or not.

I get people liking the nice weather, but what's up with the defense mechanisms of hoping for all the snow to melt? I personally hate it. I have no problem stating that. I wish we could keep the snow. Those wishing for all the snow to melt seem like they are doing it because of some sort of defensive mechanism. 

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Mid 30s and -10C 850s are nbd with good mixing. That only a delta T of 12C. 850s were higher than +3C in your area today too...more like +6C. Get a sunny downslope dandy day with warm mid-levels and we can torch away...snowpack or not.

That makes sense.  I did notice a few times this winter we had some days where we had some crazy mixing (only noticed it more this winter b/c I've actually been composing high temperatures via mixing heights using bucket instead of rip and reading MOS)

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I get people liking the nice weather, but what's up with the defense mechanisms of hoping for all the snow to melt? I personally hate it. I have no problem stating that. I wish we could keep the snow. Those wishing for all the snow to melt seem like they are doing it because of some sort of defensive mechanism. 

Purely chicken reasons here. When the pack gets high I want it higher...but after the high water mark I don't have a lot of use for it anymore. I just have a bunch of muddy, water-logged chickens and flooded paths. The sooner they can free range the better. They can't even dustbathe right now because the blowing snow the other day blew it all against the foundation and under the coop so it's all wet now.

Us melters aren't taking your snow. ;)

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No.  I don't appreciate risking my life every night that freezes after daytime melting.  Snowpack is fine for a week or 2 but then it gets boring.  For me clear walking not requiring anything but regular shoes is worth plenty. 

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That makes sense.  I did notice a few times this winter we had some days where we had some crazy mixing (only noticed it more this winter b/c I've actually been composing high temperatures via mixing heights using bucket instead of rip and reading MOS)

MOS sucked today, but it's not surprising this time of year when everything lines up for warmth. Good for you using mixing heights.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Purely chicken reasons here. When the pack gets high I want it higher...but after the high water mark I don't have a lot of use for it anymore. I just have a bunch of muddy, water-logged chickens and flooded paths. The sooner they can free range the better. They can't even dustbathe right now because the blowing snow the other day blew it all against the foundation and under the coop so it's all wet now.

Us melters aren't taking your snow. ;)

You'll get your wish later this week. You're already down probably 6-8". By Friday you'll have grass fed hens pecking and picking 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

MOS sucked today, but it's not surprising this time of year when everything lines up for warmth. Good for you using mixing heights.

I've been practicing with it in the forecast challenge.  I'm actually in 8th place right now in Jackson, MS heading into the final week :yikes:

49 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You'll get your wish later this week. You're already down probably 6-8". By Friday you'll have grass fed hens pecking and picking 

I started in the upper 20 inches though. Most of that lost was just the new powder that basically just became more wet and dense. That will all freeze up over the next two days solidly. So I'll go into Wednesday with over 20" of glacier. It's not going that quickly.

I'm not a fan of the roads that I walk with the dog getting all wet and gross...potholes, etc.   Mud season is also just gross.   I get that it ends, and in some ways ripping off the band aid quickly is better.    This weather is boring, but it is good to get out in just a sweatshirt or,light jacket.

I also found an ant in my kitchen today

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm not a fan of the roads that I walk with the dog getting all wet and gross...potholes, etc.   Mud season is also just gross.   I get that it ends, and in some ways ripping off the band aid quickly is better.    This weather is boring, but it is good to get out in just a sweatshirt or,light jacket.

I also found an ant in my kitchen today

I wore shorts today. Was nice to let the legs see the sun 

Archived