Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Does cold air damming apply to places that are higher elevation around DC though? My place in Gaithersburg looks to be about 500' elevation.

Yes, everywhere east of the blue ridge in VA and catoctin mountain in MD. Hopefully you get a chance to this winter to experience a good CAD event. It's one of the times where human minds can override model output. It's pretty fun. 

1 hour ago, supernovasky said:

Does cold air damming apply to places that are higher elevation around DC though? My place in Gaithersburg looks to be about 500' elevation.

If you look on Google Maps you will see US 15 to our west, running along Frederick County through northern Virginia.  West of there, really good CAD will set up, while west get some scraps here in Montgomery, Howard and Carroll.  Back in the winter of 2013-2014 (date?) there was a good ice event that put close to 1" of ice north of I-70.  That was a once in a decade event, IMO.

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Lol we beat climo by mid month. 

Digital storms are showing up right on time now that the first real cold shot is coming in less than a week. Can't wait for the first head fake inside of 10 days when both the euro and gfs have something good before losing it in the mid range.  

It could be a pretty big window if the nao block happens down the line.  Gefs and eps are starting to agree there. Good times. 

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The only problem I have with all of this is that it'll inevitably create expectations that may be hard to meet. Obviously near zero at DCA in mid December is loltastic, but if we're getting a good cold push with no snow to show for it there will be a lot of action in The Panic Room. I don't want to see that. 

Can't help but feel great with the ens support for a nice period of cold and storminess ahead. All we can ever ask for is to be in the game. Did we even have a digital snow threat last year?

If someone expects multiple big snows in Dec around here then I don't know what to tell them other than look at Dec snowfall history over the last 30 years. I don't like hanging out with large groups of irrational people so I'll avoid the room if it's busy. Plus I never panic in Dec anyways. 

Could be the 7 year cycle though....you know....95-02-09-16. heh

We didn't have a single real threat last December at any range. There may have been some 384 hour stuff. I don't remember but the pattern screamed no chance for weeks on end. 

4 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Nice cold shot next weekend.  0z Euro has a borderline event next Sunday night.  Giddy up.  

It's our first shot. Let's do it. Another shortwave on the heels exiting the Rockies. We can discuss that one after we finish tracking and shoveling the lead wave though. Lol

19 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

06Z GFS has a fantasy storm in the longer range (Day 14) that drops half a foot in the cities with up to ten in the north and west suburbs.

December is generally not a snow month for most of this region, but its fun to look at on the guidance. The mean snowfall on both the 0z eps and gefs over the next 15 days aint too shabby. From SE to NW, 2-4" centered on I-95 in the DC-Baltimore area. A few members even have big snow events to our south in NC/eastern VA.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

December is generally not a snow month for most of this region, but its fun to look at on the guidance. The mean snowfall on both the 0z eps and gefs over the next 15 days aint too shabby. From SE to NW, 2-4" centered on I-95 in the DC-Baltimore area. A few members have big snow events to our south in NC/eastern VA.

After living most of my 50+ years in this region I have found that snow in December is bonus snow for most of this region outside of the far north and west subs and the higher elevations. Think that is why 09-10 is by far my favorite winter with a December to remember as well as prolific amounts of snow throughout.

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

After living most of my 50+ years in this region I have found that snow in December is bonus snow for most of this region outside of the far north and west subs and the higher elevations. Think that is why 09-10 is by far my favorite winter with a December to remember as well as prolific amounts of snow throughout.

The way Dec 09 played out was incredible. One of my all time favorite tracking periods, and it delivered big time. So rare for these parts.

8 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

We didn't have a single real threat last December at any range. There may have been some 384 hour stuff. I don't remember but the pattern screamed no chance for weeks on end. 

The only thing the pattern did last December was to toss a perfect game against us!  Like I said at the time, by mid-month or so when it was pretty well hopeless for anything, I was actually beginning to root for a record warm month.  Sick, I know!

7 hours ago, Deck Pic said:

Nice cold shot next weekend.  0z Euro has a borderline event next Sunday night.  Giddy up.  

Giddy up, indeed!  00Z GFS most definitely was a sight to behold as has been discussed.  I know it's fantasy at this point and the cold won't even be close to as extreme as the plot WxWatcher007 showed up above.  And we almost assuredly won't get pounded by two snowstorms in succession (but we can hope?).  However, it's great to at least see some potential in there and to see some big-ass highs dropping down out of Canada along with some activity in the southern stream.  06Z wasn't bad either...

Digital snow thread ought to get a good workout today.

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Staying up for the Euro this early in the season?  You guys are going to be worn out by the end.

Neither of the big boys have completely killed the Sunday night and Tuesday "events" but they're on life support.

Ha! I'm almost never up that late anymore. Unless a snow threat is in the med-short range of course. I was DD last night so I was kinda amped up getting home late. I'll bet I feel better right now than everyone else I was with last night. LOL. 

On topic:

Unsurprisingly the gefs seems to have officially abondoned the idea about losing the poleward AK ridge and replacing it with lower heights. Both the eps and gefs agree with keeping the blocking ridge intact. 6z gefs still had the ridge closed at d16. Good sign and goes along with the stubborn feature idea that we've seen persist the last few years (for better or for worse). 

6z gefs and 0z eps keeping the developing legit -nao look going late in the period. Also looks like a cold reload poised to push into the US on the 19th. Hopefully all this stuff is real and continues through the holidays. A frustrating relaxation will probably happen at the worst time though. We're good like that here. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived