Newest Member
    Toothache
December Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, yoda said:

12z GEFS looks... not that bad IMO... weathfella in the SNE thread has it as being awesome lol

I wouldn't say awesome by any stretch but the run backed off on the se ridge trying to do some dirty work and finally a decent trough axis  for the east. d12-16. It's hard to figure out the progression after the first big front. It sorta looks like the cold moves in an out and then back in again (like PSU mentioned was possible earlier). 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I wouldn't say awesome by any stretch but the run backed off on the se ridge trying to do some dirty work and finally a decent trough axis  for the east. d12-16. It's hard to figure out the progression after the first big front. It sorta looks like the cold moves in an out and then back in again (like PSU mentioned was possible earlier). 

A SE ridge gets a bad name, IMO, and an eastern trough can squash snow chances almost as fast as warm air.

I actually like a trough west of the Miss. river with just a smidge of a se ridge and high pressure over the north east.  A big deep trough over the east is usually bone dry for us especially if that trough is too far east.

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's relatively cold from 216 through the end of the run. Not bone-chilling stuff or anything, but a couple/few degrees C for most of that time. Pretty decent cold for mid December.

Some really cold stuff in western Canada, and Russia stays ridiculously cold.

6 minutes ago, mattie g said:

It's relatively cold from 216 through the end of the run. Not bone-chilling stuff or anything, but a couple/few degrees C for most of that time. Pretty decent cold for mid December.

Some really cold stuff in western Canada, and Russia stays ridiculously cold.

by JB that cold in western canada is coming S-SE in december

37 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Past few runs of the GEFS has heights rising in the SW,  which is nice trend to see...better then in the SE.

Also more poleward Bearing ridge trend.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_namer_fh336_trend.gif

7 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Past few runs of the GEFS has heights rising in the SW,  which is nice trend to see...better then in the SE.

Also more poleward Bearing ridge trend.

Running the member loops it looked like the se ridge "signal" on the means was more a byproduct of another anomalous trough/ridge traversing the country or even several more. Basically a repeat of what we are seeing on tap for next week. That's not going to do anything except warm/wet - cold/dry

The consensus with 12z is rolling things forward with lower heights in eastern canada. Which is a good thing of course. Early December is a lot different climo-wise than late Dec/Jan. We need the big push in the MA/SE. SNE is a different game but our yards need a good bit extra to make it work. 

On 11/28/2016 at 10:56 AM, mitchnick said:

The bias of the "old" Euro was to keep those closed lows hanging out too long in the SW. Nice test for the updated version.

New monthly Cansips is out. If you are a winter lover save yourself the heartache. Except for Alaska and the northwest territories in December the whole run is warm, if not a torch, for the whole N American continent for the winter season.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

New monthly Cansips is out. If you are a winter lover save yourself the heartache. Except for Alaska and the northwest territories in December the whole run is warm, if not a torch, for the whole N American continent for the winter season.

Not sure heartache is the right word- more like amusement. I mean it could  be right, but we are talking the Cansips here.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

I'm not a big believer in the accuracy of long-range models but Cansips nailed the summer and fall.

15 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Not sure heartache is the right word- more like amusement. I mean it could  be right, but we are talking the Cansips here.

Haven't followed them long enough to really form a strong opinion. But if the CFS is any indication of the accuracy of these models., with its daily flips, then I am not overly impressed at this point.

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Meanwhile, before the seasonal disaster plays out as depicted on the cfs/candsips...the 0z ens suite looked really good. Odds improving for scoring something before fireballs rain from the sky leaving behind scorched earth and ashes. 

I liked seeing the southwest warming in the longer range on the GFS and Euro. Hopefully it is a sign we will start seeing ridging in the west and maybe get the mean trough axis shifted farther east.

9 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

Cansips forecast/actual for October and November. It has been good. 

Pretty spot on for Oct and Nov. But the Cips may already be in trouble for its Dec temp forecast.

IFFFF... the models (GFS, Euro) have a decent handle on the temps for the next two weeks then the Cips December temp forecast will need almost a nation wide blow torch in the second half to verify.

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Pretty spot on for Oct and Nov. But the Cips may already be in trouble for its Dec temp forecast.

IFFFF... the models (GFS, Euro) have a decent handle on the temps for the next two weeks then the Cips December temp forecast will need almost a nation wide blow torch in the second half to verify.

I agree on December. 

It's a long ways out but worth discussing a little. One of the ways we can get snow after the first big cold front is good spacing and placement with the next wave. D10 euro last night looks pretty good for either front end or even possibly getting an underneath track with the 50/50 in place. 1030+ HP right over top of the vort tracking in the middle of the country with confluence in the east instead of ridging:

ecmwf_mslpa_namer_11.png

ecmwf_z500a_namer_11.png

I'm just using the panels as an example. It would be silly to think the specific setup is real at this range. GFS has the same progression minus the 50/50 so it will cut. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived