joxey
December Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BTRWx said:

Yes. Get used to it.

We should all be used to Baltimore/DC winters and their unpredictability by now but...here we are year after year, rollercoastering our emotions with each model run, lol But for me, after 3 consecutive above average snow winters (which dosen't happen that often around here), I'm wondering if we're due for a dud! But we'll see!

Haven't really followed this much bc...mid December snow around here is usually an anomaly...but cutters or lows to the west matter a lot less when temps are frigid.  We've learned that the last couple winters.  Cold is cold.   If dews are in the teens or whatever when precip arrives then we can score in that scenario.  We're used to cutters in moderately cold airmasses, not arctic ones.  It's a different ballgame.

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Man, 15z Sat is snow? Prob sleet.    I mean, just barely..like 0.2 C at midlevels.  Anyway, its moderate to heavy, whatever it is

I don't think so, sleet or freezing rain.  It's already sleet west of the city at 7AM despite the 850 temps as there is a warm layer above 850.  

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

We should all be used to Baltimore/DC winters and their unpredictability by now but...here we are year after year, rollercoastering our emotions with each model run, lol But for me, after 3 consecutive above average snow winters (which dosen't happen that often around here), I'm wondering if we're due for a dud! But we'll see!

Not I. My standards for winter 2017 are as low as can be... :P

eta: relative to the rest of them

9 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

You can be jb and just take the best model run from each suite and ignore the rest.  Or you can be ji and take the worst. Or you can look at everything then take a shot of tequila and pull your hair out. 

1 minute ago, Scraff said:

Looking at GFS on TT (Saturday accumulated snowfall), I think most in here would be happy with that. Am I wrong? Dont worry about the torch around 18z. Lol. 

Ya if it was snow! But a lot of that is sleet. Probably an inch or so of snow before sleetfest and then freezing rain! This is a little better for cutting down due to sleet! But I think it is still overdoing it http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gfs&p=sn10_acc&rh=2016121218&fh=180&r=us_ma&dpdt=

2 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

Ya if it was snow! But a lot of that is sleet. Probably an inch or so of snow before sleetfest and then freezing rain! This is a little better for cutting down due to sleet! But I think it is still overdoing it http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gfs&p=sn10_acc&rh=2016121218&fh=180&r=us_ma&dpdt=

Wow. I like it! If only true. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that all levels stay colder longer than they are showing. This seems to be some serious cold coming. Won't be easy to scour out quickly (in my mind anyway). Guess we see where it goes over the next few days. Things could get better...or...

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It's a process.  It's trending better each time on the gfs. The high off the east coast inched back toward ne this run and the low to the west is further south.  Do the trends continue?  No idea, but lately model forecasts beyond 3 days have been jumpy.

What would be the best case scenario. Is there a chance this could be a WSW event for both our regions or would you say it will probably only be advisory level.

4 minutes ago, Fozz said:

The GFS for this weekend reminds me of that storm in late Feb 2015. I can easily see a decent snowstorm from this, changing over to light zr and drizzle.

I think of Dec 2012.  That one was given little chance to put down much snow but did in places.  That was a storm that went to sleet very quickly but when the heavier precipitation came in it went back to heavy snow.

28 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

We may be due. Last year was so weird. It was a total dud except for 24 epic hours. I can't think of another winter like that in the past. Maybe 2000? But that storm dumped about half on us that most got from the storm in 2016. That was so crazy/awesome. Really saved the entire winter, at least for me.

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

Its a very shallow warm layer at DCA at 15z... its probably still snow if its heavy rates

Yup.  DC is borderline at 15z, but central MD is still snow (probably rimed flakes) at 15z.  That's 0.5"+ of liquid equivalent for central MD before that point.  Solid thump.  Let's do it.  

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

How's it looking up my way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty safe to say 18z GFS is the best run since that glorious Euro run a couple days ago.  It's warning-level snow for the MD side of the LWX region before the flip.  And probably not much ice.  Snow-brief sleet-brief fzra-rain.  

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived