Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The Euro TBH just has not been great since the upgrade.  I know it's only been 10 months or so but it really seems they put most effort into it to help its forecasts over Europe and it's made it have some issues here 

It hasn't held up to its 'King' status since the upgrade but to be fair all the models have been running rough this winter. Not sure how it did during the summer so I can't speak for that though.

Just now, Thanatos_I_Am said:

So it's safe to assume this is overdone?

Yes, without question as far as the model run goes. The wxbell snow algorithm is heavily weighted on 850 temps and lesser with the surface (35 degrees still = 10:1 ratios which is dumb). The other levels are not included. It's a sleetfest for a time before the flip to zr. Sleet is counted as snow on wxbell. 

18 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I doubt many are thinking heavy snow event. The 12z euro yesterday was max potential and unlikely. We've had plenty of similar type of events in the past. Usually a burst of snow that can over perform sometimes but usually in the 1-5" range tops followed by a flip and countdown to a drip fest. Flips usually happen earlier than we want and the drip fest Usually starts later than forecast. That actually sounds like a good forecast. I'll go with that for now. Lol

Still lookin good.  

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GFS has a nice mecs @ 372. Book it. 

Big ol SE ridge with it.  I tell you what i like about this run is that it really shows that hanging back energy in the SW keeps the SE ridge at bay.  We don't torch and stay seasonable with cold shots giving us chances at wintry weather.  It's only at the end of the run do we see some funny pattern stuff that means dick wrt verifying.

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

yes. the changeover begins after 12z Saturday. By 18z everyone is sleet/freezing rain. 6 inches does not fall in DC before that flip happens. 

Pretty much, I've never seen 6 inches in DCA in these types of systems before the changeover unless some random mesoscale band forms.  PHL got 9 inches in a southwest flow system a few years ago because of that. In general though I find the ceiling in these things for snow is 3 in DCA, 4-5 in PHL and 5-6 in NYC and those are usually only reached in rare events. It's usually less 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived