Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

When I see a change this big it makes me think anything is possible.  The h5 change is pretty big for a 6 hour model difference.

I compared 12z around the 114-132 range. Two things stood out. The big ull to the NE is deeper and slower to move away and the shortwave diving down west of Hudson bay runs out in front of the shortwave coming into the west coast. This suppresses and flattens heights in between two major features on both sides of NA. 

The only real negative is the shortwave coming into the west is slowed down compared to 12z. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of off-topic, but if IIRC the Presidents Day storm had a weak low off the Delmarva develop unexpectedly, causing winds from the north that made the damming last longer than expected. It wasn't that the models couldn't pick up on the strength of the cold air. The "wedge always last longer than modeled" ism seems something that is eager to be broken, especially when the cold air is shallow at the surface.

I'm not a huge fan of ice, but I really don't like the thump of snow and then warm up and drip-drip. Might as well not snow as whatever you get is gone so quick. I remember a few years ago where we got a heavy thump overnight in the metro areas of about a foot or so and then it all disappeared by the end of the day while places up in Carroll ended up with almost two feet.

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I compared 12z around the 114-132 range. Two things stood out. The big ull to the NE is deeper and slower to move away and the shortwave diving down west of Hudson bay runs out in front of the shortwave coming into the west coast. This suppresses and flattens heights in between two major features on both sides of NA. 

The only real negative is the shortwave coming into the west is slowed down compared to 12z. 

I think that slowdown is caused by the flattening you describe.  Sharpened the trough in the west quite a bit. 

Edit:  slowing the low is what I was referring to

6 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

Kind of off-topic, but if IIRC the Presidents Day storm had a weak low off the Delmarva develop unexpectedly, causing winds from the north that made the damming last longer than expected. It wasn't that the models couldn't pick up on the strength of the cold air. The "wedge always last longer than modeled" ism seems something that is eager to be broken, especially when the cold air is shallow at the surface.

Might be eager to be broken but physics wins.  Cold air is dense and heavy, tough to move.

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gefs very supportive of the slower evolution. Good precip not really arriving until after 12z Sat. 

Compare the 18z run to 12z.  Big changes.

Now, if you want to see really big changes, look at Wed morning.  There are about 6 with a low off Hatteras.  Close enough to watch.

It's pretty amazing how we've lost any and all semblance of blocking in the Atlantic, and it's nonexistent looking out through the end of the month. I suppose it shouldn't be shocking, though.

Not worth even analyzing what the ops show at the surface more than a few days out with this upper-level setup.

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

It's pretty amazing how we've lost any and all semblance of blocking in the Atlantic, and it's nonexistent looking out through the end of the month. I suppose it shouldn't be shocking, though.

Not worth even analyzing what the ops show at the surface more than a few days out with this upper-level setup.

NA blocking is an urban myth

Maybe we need a 2+/- week reshuffle of the pattern.   There does seem to be a propensity for dominant ridging to appear and move poleward so far this season.....As CAPE just noted,  if that scan ridge starts a poleward move on the guidance just like the Aleutian ridge did....hey! 

Nice euro run.

Backed up pretty much by the ensembles as well.

Good thing is, all we have to do is wait a couple of days and we'll get a completely different look.

I still don't think we have a good idea of what the weekend is going to be, but it sure looks drier now than it did a couple of days ago.

44 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Nice euro run.

Backed up pretty much by the ensembles as well.

Good thing is, all we have to do is wait a couple of days and we'll get a completely different look.

I still don't think we have a good idea of what the weekend is going to be, but it sure looks drier now than it did a couple of days ago.

What's it got for Wednesday?

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived