Newest Member
    joxey
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Where is that chap that incessantly posts about the CFS weeky progs and how they are always warm and torchy and rarely wrong? Guess he is hiding now that they are MUCH colder for January with today's run?

At your service.     We still have to wait till Jan. 20 for continuous cold.   The key to your statement is 'today's run'.   I want to see this output for a week straight.  We are talking about breaking a 22 month long streak on pretty flimsy evidence.   The baseball coach said 'take a strike' and so I'll let January come in below normal before I call any month BN ahead of time.    It will have to be a heck of a final 10 day close to the month.   We could be +3 to +6 by the 20th.

7 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

At your service.     We still have to wait till Jan. 20 for continuous cold.   The key to your statement is 'today's run'.   I want to see this output for a week straight.  We are talking about breaking a 22 month long streak on pretty flimsy evidence.   The baseball coach said 'take a strike' and so I'll let January come in below normal before I call any month BN ahead of time.    It will have to be a heck of a final 10 day close to the month.   We could be +3 to +6 by the 20th.

You can't be serious

Just now, JerseyWx said:

Montana has seen some incredibly cold temps this season, especially in the Rockies.

This may be the greatest December cold Montana to warmer South Florida spread since 1983 which was also a La Nina.

December 1983....Great Falls, Montana....-21.7 monthly temperature departure to +1.3 Miami, Florida.

38 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This may be the greatest December cold Montana to warmer South Florida spread since 1983 which was also a La Nina.

December 1983....Great Falls, Montana....-21.7 monthly temperature departure to +1.3 Miami, Florida.

Very interesting pattern.  Certainly made me think twice about eventually heading to Montana :D

27 minutes ago, Morris said:

+7.5 departure yesterday. Just as bad departure coming today.

Several local stations like JFK, LGA, and BDR are already back to normal on the month.

NYC...-1.6

LGA...-0.2

JFK...-0.2

ISP...-0.9

BDR...+0.2

EWR..-1.2

TTN...-1.1

57 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the one common denominator in the EPS and JMA weeklies that just came out is the classic La Nina SE ridge.

The 5 day trough coming 30th thru the 4th was missed by all of the guidance from 10 days ago 

Will hold off looking post Jan 5 until I see what the EP and NA look like 

The higher heights there typically mute the SE ridge.

2 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

The 5 day trough coming 30th thru the 4th was missed by all of the guidance from 10 days ago 

Paul, do you still think an eastern trough comes back around the 10th?  Where are you for Jan overall?

9 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

I was just stating what the latest batch of extended guidance was showing. But I generally don't like to go past the 6-10 means for more accurate

forecasts. The latest batch of GEFS and EPS  6-10 are showing a strong ridge developing south of Greenland and Alaska. We would need both those

ridges to poke north over Greenland And Alaska to have a shot at flattening the SE ridge longer than a few days behind the cold front.

If those ridges set up south, then the SE ridge will just pop right back up during the first week of January as troughs dive into the Western US.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Several local stations like JFK, LGA, and BDR are already back to normal on the month.

NYC...-1.6

LGA...-0.2

JFK...-0.2

ISP...-0.9

BDR...+0.2

EWR..-1.2

TTN...-1.1

I think to give a better regional picture rather than just along the immediate coast you should add DXR, SWF and MGJ.  These aren't really that far inland but the difference is significant.  Even HPN is colder than BDR and it's nearly on the water.

15 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I think to give a better regional picture rather than just along the immediate coast you should add DXR, SWF and MGJ.  These aren't really that far inland but the difference is significant.  Even HPN is colder than BDR and it's nearly on the water.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

NYC...-1.6

LGA...-0.2

JFK...-0.2

ISP...-0.9

BDR...+0.2

EWR..-1.2

TTN...-1.1

Add Poughkeepsie at -1.8 and Scranton at -0.7. By the end of the month they will all be near or above normal IMO.

NYC still has a good shot at making it 18 consecutive months above normal, a record breaking streak I am hoping soon comes to an end with a Feb 2015, at least for cold, like vengeance.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

NYC...-1.6

LGA...-0.2

JFK...-0.2

ISP...-0.9

BDR...+0.2

EWR..-1.2

TTN...-1.1

the cold shot on 12/29-31 give or take will likely determine whether anyone can finish the month with a negative departure....

57 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Paul, do you still think an eastern trough comes back around the 10th?  Where are you for Jan overall?

Theres a ridge in the means between the 23rd and 28th 

The coming trough looks to be about a 4 or 5 days thats really a 2 part trough .

Then the ridge is forecast on the EPS from the 5th thru 10th.

Its poss.

But I think the coming cold mid month is colder than the Dec 5th thru 15th period relative to averages .

I am just uncomfortable seeing higher heights on both sides of the continent buldging towards the pole while forecasting a ridge 

I agree with Chris and  I am going to stay inside the 6 ro 10 for now .

52 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I didn't think he was going for a regional picture, more of a Long Island view which is how many of his fine posts can be interpreted IMO. Either way, always good stuff from Bluewave. 

51 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Add Poughkeepsie at -1.8 and Scranton at -0.7. By the end of the month they will all be near or above normal IMO.

NYC still has a good shot at making it 18 consecutive months above normal, a record breaking streak I am hoping soon comes to an end with a Feb 2015, at least for cold, like vengeance.

Scranton taken at the AVP airport always runs  warmer than areas close by.

Archived