Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah I feel good about snow, but so-so on much accumulation if that makes sense.

I think really late Tue/really early Wed adjacent NY state could be pounding 1"/hr stuff before it all starts to fall apart.

Probably excruciatingly slow advancement too of the moderate/heavy stuff...it will look amazing, and then almost grind to a halt over POU or something and keep getting shredded northeast of that with the steadier stuff moving into DXR at like 5mph, lol.

I hope I'm wrong and that we see the models underestimate the downstream ridging a bit in the final 24 hours.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah I feel good about snow, but so-so on much accumulation if that makes sense.

I think really late Tue/really early Wed adjacent NY state could be pounding 1"/hr stuff before it all starts to fall apart.

The increase NE of QPF is what I am watching on the RGEM, where it hands off and the flow. Once we get inside 24 in the AM should have a good handle, as of now a slightly more amped solution than the globals seems the way to go. The 4 K NAM is overamped.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Probably excruciatingly slow advancement too of the moderate/heavy stuff...it will look amazing, and then almost grind to a halt over POU or something and keep getting shredded northeast of that with the steadier stuff moving into DXR at like 5mph, lol.

I hope I'm wrong and that we see the models underestimate the downstream ridging a bit in the final 24 hours.

this is where we need Tippys SE Ridge

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The increase NE of QPF is what I am watching on the RGEM, where it hands off and the flow. Once we get inside 24 in the AM should have a good handle, as of now a slightly more amped solution than the globals seems the way to go. The 4 K NAM is overamped.

While this would be nice..no chance of happening like that with such a sharp cutoff.

1-3 Seems good for now

icon_add_black_48px.svg
nam4km_asnow_neus_17.png

The thing to watch tonight, like Will said, is the ridging ahead of it. Check the 00z raobs versus the model forecasts. 

And we can't sleep on the Upper Midwest part of the flow either. That will play into the eventual outcome too. We probably want to see that a little deeper and digging into the Southeast part of the flow.

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The thing to watch tonight, like Will said, is the ridging ahead of it. Check the 00z raobs versus the model forecasts. 

And we can't sleep on the Upper Midwest part of the flow either. That will play into the eventual outcome too. We probably want to see that a little deeper and digging into the Southeast part of the flow.

700mb_16120514.gif

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Isn't that a TropicalTidbit map?  haha.

True. Looked too quickly and though the color scale was WeatherBell.

WeatherBell is ASOS/AWOS locations I believe. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

To me..the big convection down south currently and Ray's SE ridge argue for a stronger push North and west

I would wait and see how it looks in a few hours. This is mainly WAA related ahead of the main shortwave. But if it stays more E/W like this with the main shortwave, we're probably in trouble for a N bust in modeling.

Weeklies look good. Classic Nina. Week 3 has higher heights near Bering Sea up through the N Pole into nrn Greenland. Also SE ridge.  Week 4 lookd like s goodf -EPO and also SE ridge albeit weaker. So if we play our cards right...hopefully we battle ground. Precip anomalies look like battle ground is close by. Obviously it may not work out totally favorable, but I'd hit it.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maybe we'll get another huge short term model bust like 1/27/11...but I'm not holding my breath....certainly possible for some people to see a couple of inches. Maybe even 3-4" if everything goes right. But still annoying to think about what could have been.

well didn't today's event kind of fizzle as it came east?

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So much for the hand wringing over last Thursday's weeklies.

Well they could always revert, but there was some talk about them not really making a lot of sense given the tropics. I like using velocity potential at 200mb. This shows you where the MJO driven divergence is at this level and seems to be a better indicator of where the "forcing" is instead of typical RMM circle plots. That's been out in the maritime continent and stays there through week 2+. So in a way, I'm not surprised they went to that look. But, obviously storm track to be determined. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well they could always revert, but there was some talk about them not really making a lot of sense given the tropics. I like using velocity potential at 200mb. This shows you where the MJO driven divergence is at this level and seems to be a better indicator of where the "forcing" is instead of typical RMM circle plots. That's been out in the maritime continent and stays there through week 2+. So in a way, I'm not surprised they went to that look. But, obviously storm track to be determined. 

It'll be exciting to visit region 1 in the spring. One of our favorites for colder than normal.

But you have a good point about it's not so much where the convection is but where the forcing from the convection is. 

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It'll be exciting to visit region 1 in the spring. One of our favorites for colder than normal.

But you have a good point about it's not so much where the convection is but where the forcing from the convection is. 

Haha. This time of year their rain can be our gain.

I went 1-3" for the Litchfield hills and DXR area, C-1" everywhere else away from the shoreline for tomorrow evening. Thinking it'll be closer to 1" than 3" for most in that area, but it wouldn't take much to see DXR or up near Norfolk end up in SN for an hour or two and pick up a quick 1-2" so I wanted to leave a little wiggle room to be sure. Outside of CT, I'd say C-1 for most in SNE west of the RI/MA border or so with 1-3" in the Berks. Slightly concerned that modeling may be overdoing ridging, but not concerned enough to go any higher without a shift in the 0z suite.

Archived