Newest Member
    Toothache
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It seems we are (appropriately) heading for a climo step down gradient this winter that will build snow pack from NW to SE.  Kind of due anyway.  Hopefully everyone cashes in the end.

That's how I'm seeing things right now from 35kft.  I don't see anything to be alarmed by.  I see the GL and C/NNE doing rather well this month.  Flow still looks very zonal through mid month which would favor the northern tier but by mid month we may see some west coast ridging develop which would be a better pattern for a larger portion of New England.

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

WE are all due for a large coverage of a white Christmas

Why? Statistically, the further north and west you go has a much higher chance at a white Christmas. 

Regardless of the developing pattern, the odds are still better there.

I'd say the odds of a white Christmas on the outer cape are well under 25%

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Will did I not say we are due

Really? 

7 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

WE are all due for a large coverage of a white Christmas

Anyways enough of this argument. This is useless for this thread. 

I'm not a big fan of the we are due argument either. there's no justice and climatology doesn't work that way it's actually 100 different variations of injustice ... divided by 100. 

We're living it right now case in point. we haven't had drought numbers in three months or more really; yet technically we are still in a drought for the 12 month because last of summers deficit.  meanwhile streams and rivers are flowing bank full,  while it's only the reservoirs that are still low. We may never get a "correction event" so to speak.  When by all intents and purposes by that same argument we should be due. 

Things don't usually work out that way; sometimes they do but rarely so. We may make up for the dry over the next 12 months gradually painfully slowly having never seen any kind a correction event, having never gotten our due. 

Then somebody out there in time will say, "see we were due" but be totally wrong. Every once in a blue moon ... we'llbe 20 winters behind and will then get get 30 feet of snow in a single snowstorm.  But given all the chaos that happens from event to event and all the different things that cause QP to verify or not spread out over time those kinds of things are just luck. 

I don't think when someone uses the "we're due" angle that they're making a forecast so much as they're saying don't be surprised if it happens.....and, like weenies will do, have a little hope in there to make it exciting......but everyone in here knows that so nobody is surprised really....it's fun and keeps us interested.....we all know how much to temper wish and when to do it......right now I feel like we're due for a great winter

Make Winter Great Again

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Unfortunately "being due" has absolutely no bearing on how 2016 will turn out. 

Xmas is too far away to get any idea right now. We could easily have a great snowy period from 12/5-12/18 and then have it torched by a Grinch storm. 

First we need the snowy period.  :) 

In my area, if there were 12"+ OG on 12/18 I'd give 99-to-1 odds for a white Christmas, even though the near-inevitable Grinch would make it messy.

Archived