Newest Member
    Toothache
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CoastalWx said:

Looks like NAM is a little more down to earth tomorrow night.

I'm still annoyed at how good that s/w is literally 18 hours before it reaches us. Such a tease. That could have been a solid warning event. Ironically, I think today's event sort of screws us...it creates more confluence to the north and northeast which helps dampen the shortwave faster.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm still annoyed at how good that s/w is literally 18 hours before it reaches us. Such a tease. That could have been a solid warning event. Ironically, I think today's event sort of screws us...it creates more confluence to the north and northeast which helps dampen the shortwave faster.

I know it. That's bothered me for days...lol. Not that I would have got much at home...but that could have been a great paste job for many. 

I know it. That's bothered me for days...lol. Not that I would have got much at home...but that could have been a great paste job for many. 

It actually doesn't look too dissimilar to Dec 23, 1997...it just doesn't make it as far northeast. Not saying we would have gotten a repeat since that storm probably had some special circumstances that we still do not fully understand, but it gives you an idea of how well a really negatively tilted shortwave can overperform.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

4 Km NAM is still amped in fact adds another .25 into CT, I am impressed by the convection near the Gulf. Have to wonder if this is a little more amped up. The mesos are pretty good at sniffing this out. Will be interesting in the AM to see just how far north this gets 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

4 Km NAM is still amped in fact adds another .25 into CT, I am impressed by the convection near the Gulf. Have to wonder if this is a little more amped up. The mesos are pretty good at sniffing this out. Will be interesting in the AM to see just how far north this gets 

Yeah you're right. Much different that 12K NAM. I guess we shall see.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Maybe we'll get another huge short term model bust like 1/27/11...but I'm not holding my breath....certainly possible for some people to see a couple of inches. Maybe even 3-4" if everything goes right. But still annoying to think about what could have been.

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This is most certainly a cutter prone pattern. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. We very may have one in a week.

Everything wants to deamp coming East. And that's ok. This was supposed to be a stemwinder in the lakes. So I don't see this as a classic cut pattern.  Does that mean one can't happen? Of course not

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Everything wants to deamp coming East. And that's ok. This was supposed to be a stemwinder in the lakes. So I don't see this as a classic cut pattern.  Does that mean one can't happen? Of course not

I said prone to cutters not a classic cutter. There's a big difference. You can be annoying in full weenie mode. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I said prone to cutters not a classic cutter. There's a big difference. You can be annoying in full weenie mode. 

Just like those that are annoying because they think their winter forecast is great .and everything has to happen just as they layout (not you). 

Tomorriw night could be fun if some folks in central and western areas can grab a few inches. We'll see

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It's really not ok unless you want a trace here and there and once in a while get 2-4.   Thankfully the SE ridge is robust enough to allow us to walk the line and sometimes score nicely even if you risk a torchy cutter.

24 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You want to see it start becoming more N/S linear I think. That will pump the latent heat more due N than shunt it E. The more WAA we can get N the bigger positive bust I could see. HRRRX looks pretty robust for SW New England very early Wednesday.

I haven't seen many references to any single winter outlook in particular this season; some simply put forth a good, honest effort, and that was the end of it.

While others nobly donated about twenty minutes of their time to composing about two paragraphs worth of an educated guess based upon an aggregate of twitter feeds.

Everyone contributed in their own way to the best of their ability.

Hopefully western areas get a nice surprise in this upcoming event.

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Just like those that are annoying because they think their winter forecast is great .and everything has to happen just as they layout (not you). 

Tomorriw night could be fun if some folks in central and western areas can grab a few inches. We'll see

I'm just trying to be honest with how I see things. I think there are mixed messages all the time between those that want cold and snow, and then those that sort of rebut those calls. I hate seeing those statements like "I thought this was supposed to be a great pattern....what happened?" when the message about the possibilities of not so favorable storm tracks was conveyed, but lost in the drivel of back and forth.  Now to be clear...I like the available cold source. That's a huge plus. Like you said, things could dampen out perhaps if we get the Tippy ruler flow, and get a lot of overrunning or SWFE...but deep plunging cold into the Plains can supercharge the Plains lows too.

54 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just because Nina is weak, doesn't mean a SE ridge cannot be stout. December 1990 had a monster SE ridge...neutral ENSO year. There's other examples too.

yeah i'm not sure i wanna be couched in with the Nino/Nina = ridge one way or the other actually ... 

I'm just trying to be honest with how I see things. I think there are mixed messages all the time between those that want cold and snow, and then those that sort of rebut those calls. I hate seeing those statements like "I thought this was supposed to be a great pattern....what happened?" when the message about the possibilities of not so favorable storm tracks was conveyed, but lost in the drivel of back and forth.  Now to be clear...I like the available cold source. That's a huge plus. Like you said, things could dampen out perhaps if we get the Tippy ruler flow, and get a lot of overrunning or SWFE...but deep plunging cold into the Plais can supercharge the Plains lows too.

1980s is not out of the question for sure.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

You want to see it start becoming more N/S linear I think. That will pump the latent heat more due N than shunt it E. The more WAA we can get N the bigger positive bust I could see. HRRRX looks pretty robust for SW New England very early Wednesday.

Amazing how threatening it looks so close to us...here's the 18z RGEM at 30 hours:

5961ec8fe4cb1d4cfc20a7db7d58a2ae.png

Then it craps out quickly in the span of about 6-8 hours, lol. That said, the RGEM does still get some light snows into most of SNE.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Amazing how threatening it looks so close to us...here's the 18z RGEM at 30 hours:

Then is craps out quickly in the span of about 6-8 hours, lol. That said, the RGEM does still get some light snows into most of SNE.

Yeah I feel good about snow, but so-so on much accumulation if that makes sense.

I think really late Tue/really early Wed adjacent NY state could be pounding 1"/hr stuff before it all starts to fall apart.

Archived