Ginx snewx

ULL, up slope snow LES, Squalls winds 11-20-22

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Here's a new twist...

Snow accums by elevation:

1500ft...1.5"

900-1400ft...Trace to 0"

600-900ft...1"

I sh*t you not I cleaned an inch off my car at 750ft and there's nothing on the ground at all between 1000-1400ft.  

Look at my photos from earlier at my house, also the web cams at the base of the resort show snow.  But there's bare ground in between.

I drove uphill and the snow decreased to nothing.  This is 1300ft.

IMG_3749.JPG

I am so confused.  Literally one of the oddest things I've ever seen.

Was there a noticeable lack of precip? I wonder if there is a mesoscale ascent/descent/ascent couplet perhaps?

We have flipped in the Champlain Valley with cat paws falling in Williston, VT

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

Mai Tai in hand?

A little too cold for that even here. You guys got so screwed last year....just nice to see the higher terrain getting the goods. And I also love wet snow which the pics really show nicely.

Pic courtesy of my brother. Taken in eastern Columbia County, NY (Chatham) at 600 ft elevation. Definitely qualifies as an upslope location as well.

IMG_1399.JPG

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Eduggs can put away his AR-15. 

The area where I used to live at 1400ft in eastern Rensselaer County is getting annihilated.  It's one of the best hybrid upslope setups I've seen locally in years.  Sadly for me, I left the area right after the sorry end to last miserable winter.

45 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Was there a noticeable lack of precip? I wonder if there is a mesoscale ascent/descent/ascent couplet perhaps?

There had to be that's the only thing I can think of.  There's this odd wedge of no snow with plastered trees below and above that spot.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Here's a new twist...

Snow accums by elevation:

1500ft...1.5"

900-1400ft...Trace to 0"

600-900ft...1"

I sh*t you not I cleaned an inch off my car at 750ft and there's nothing on the ground at all between 1000-1400ft.  

Look at my photos from earlier at my house, also the web cams at the base of the resort show snow.  But there's bare ground in between.

I drove uphill and the snow decreased to nothing.  This is 1300ft.

IMG_3749.JPG

I am so confused.  Literally one of the oddest things I've ever seen.

Is it still snowing through that bare layer or is it rain with snow below that? I'm assuming it's snowing and melting on contact because idk how you'd produce a flake in the BL with a temp near 32F. Maybe being above that inversion the past couple days torched the soil temps and now it can't accumulate. ;)

Just now, dendrite said:

Is it still snowing through that bare layer or is it rain with snow below that? I'm assuming it's snowing and melting on contact because idk how you'd produce a flake in the BL with a temp near 32F. Maybe being above that inversion the past couple days torched the soil temps and now it can't accumulate. ;)

I actually was thinking about that.  We radiated a bit in town last night before getting capped.  And in town has been frozen solid each morning with frost while it was like 45F up at 1200-1500ft.  

Maybe we were just cold enough in town that the aggregates could more easily stick and the mid-slope was torched for several days?  No idea but its very weird.  I've never seen that.  Judging by my house, the spot where that photo was taken should be plowing.  

Some of the impressive snow reports along a line from around Chatham to West Sand Lake in ENY (and even just west of those towns) are coming from relatively low elevations.  The upslope is starting just a few miles east of the Hudson in some cases.  It's a really neat event for that area.

18 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Some of the impressive snow reports along a line from around Chatham to West Sand Lake in ENY (and even just west of those towns) are coming from relatively low elevations.  The upslope is starting just a few miles east of the Hudson in some cases.  It's a really neat event for that area.

That whole area in extreme ENY is getting crushed right now..radar is impressive 

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

That whole area in extreme ENY is getting crushed right now..radar is impressive 

Taconics for the win