Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

27 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

Didn't we have a similar event as this,well we did, the year Sandy hit? It was a blizzard, snow like crazy changed to heavy rain for hour at 10 pm, then back to heavy snow for rest of storm and a big drop in temperatures. Long Island expressway was closed and a big disaster along with  route 347 with stranded cars etc. Took days to clean up everything as there's was about inch of ice and 2 feet of snow. Required heavy equipment,bulldozers,bucket loaders, we lost power for 10 hours. I think I spent 3 days of plowing at work with half our road missing from Sandy.

Feb 2013

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Safe? I think you may have had a bit too much eggnog. I dont know what the safe comment refers to. 

Roads are safer without snow and ice on them.  There was quite the mess up here yesterday afternoon into the evening with freezing drizzle but after a below normal day yesterday temps have shot up to the upper 50's today.  As a result my snow pack is done aside from piles and one part of my yard that gets little to no sun this time of year.  As for the eggnog...yuck but I did indulge in beer and wine while everyone was having a good time.    

3 hours ago, psv88 said:

Agree. This is an interior winter. Huge turd for the city and coastal areas (where most of the people live). 

From an anecdotal standpoint, it's been awhile since we've seen a winter that preferentially favors the interior. The coast has been doing very well with respect to average since 2000. The bad winters have been poor for everyone generally. 

37 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

From an anecdotal standpoint, it's been awhile since we've seen a winter that preferentially favors the interior. The coast has been doing very well with respect to average since 2000. The bad winters have been poor for everyone generally. 

Good point.  I don't think the interior wants to see a return to the winters of the late 80s and early 90s (prior to 92-93) either.  One hit wonder winters aren't exactly great either- although they are an order of magnitude better than the late 80s/early 90s "winters"

1 hour ago, pazzo83 said:

Temps in the 80s and dews in the mid/upper 70s is humid by any standard.

I swear to everything it wasn't humid at all since I got here. It's windy and dry the whole time. If it rains it's for like 5 minutes it's kinda strange. 

By by the way I think your storm for Thursday only trends colder but that's just me. We'll see plenty of time for this to trend a bit colder 

CFS update:   Up to 14BN days out of next 30.   This is another big increase from 2 out of 30, 8 out of 30 in the previous  two days.    Some BN have exchanged places with the AN and vice versa just to confuse things.

As for snow on Thurs-Fri.   WPC now  gives us a near 10% chance of seeing some snow.  Probability gradient is very tight to the northwest, so who knows.

With 22 consecutive AN months, this ping-ponging of the weeklies tells me nothing is going to change.    Judah Cohen pointed out 3 weeks ago that w/o a SSWE  Dec. could be the closest we come to a BN month for the season.    The period of 1/6 to 1/13 should be BN on the whole and rest of the month is a tossup.   The first 5 days of Jan. may give us a positive surplus of 50 degs. which would  have to be worked off in the next 26, or -2 for the remainder of month.  A real SSWE couldn't avoid detection by any of the analog models available for long.    I hope this is all trash by tomorrow!

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived