Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Happy anniversary to the 12/30/00 snowstorm that ended the late 90's snow drought and kicked off the recent record snowfall era.

http://synoptic.envsci.rutgers.edu/riggi/001230.gif

That was a great storm. I remember going to bed around 1 and there was almost nothing on radar and 5 hours later we already had like 4" on the ground. I think some places got over 2 feet in under 10 hours and yet just west of Philly they got nothing

13 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

That was a great storm. I remember going to bed around 1 and there was almost nothing on radar and 5 hours later we already had like 4" on the ground. I think some places got over 2 feet in under 10 hours and yet just west of Philly they got nothing

Big time event up here

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2001/30-Dec-00.html

27 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

That was the first legit snowstorm that I got to track on the internet. It also had some of the best winter swells for surfers like the February 2006 event.

16 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

NOAA 6-10 temp outlook has us roasting big time up and down the East Coast while the West cashes in on the cold. Don't understand the hype for us during that timeframe.

61EBD3DA-23A0-4D06-A7F4-C1405AB7D30E_zps

2 days in a row now youve posted blatantly false info. Time for a break maybe.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

That was the first legit snowstorm that I got to track on the internet. It also had some of the best winter swells for surfers like the February 2006 event.

I was down in Florida for that for a swimming training trip in college. I remember being soooooo pissed I was going to miss the storm in Baltimore. Little did I know that got a goose egg from that storm. And I actually got to body surf some serious waves by south Florida standerds produced by that storm

16 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was down in Florida for that for a swimming training trip in college. I remember being soooooo pissed I was going to miss the storm in Baltimore. Little did I know that got a goose egg from that storm. And I actually got to body surf some serious waves by south Florida standerds produced by that storm

One of my favorite sights living in Long Beach was the stream of cars with surfboards on the roof heading down to the beach during snowstorms.

31 minutes ago, bluewave said:

One of my favorite sights living in Long Beach was the stream of cars with surfboards on the roof heading down to the beach during snowstorms.

I still surf winters but I avoid temps below 20 degrees now. Not from being cold believe it or not but becuse of asthma. I was out one day when the air was 18 and the waves very large (10 foot range) and I couldn't breath. Very scary. It is an amazing experience being out in the water in the snow!   

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

61EBD3DA-23A0-4D06-A7F4-C1405AB7D30E_zps

2 days in a row now youve posted blatantly false info. Time for a break maybe.

It's nowhere near blantantly false. NYC proper is not covered in any of the blue shades, so we will only see normal temps. That translates to temps at or above 40. The SE ridge is flexing its muscles very clearly in that map, and all the storms will cut to our West as some realistic posters on here have stated.

4 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

It's nowhere near blantantly false. NYC proper is not covered in any of the blue shades, so we will only see normal temps. That translates to temps at or above 40. The SE ridge is flexing its muscles very clearly in that map, and all the storms will cut to our West as some realistic posters on here have stated.

Dude - 40F in January isn't roasting unless you are a Hudson Bay polar bear.

14 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

1. Nyc is in the blue shades (and even if you zoom in to where its literally impossible to tell pixel by pixel, this isnt a NYC proper forum) 2, normal temps are not "roasting". You can attempt to discuss storm patterns if you'd like, but dont lie about what the actual data is showing. 

1 minute ago, BxEngine said:

Nyc is on the blue shades, 1. 2, normal temps are not "roasting". You can attempt to discuss storm patterns if you'd like, but dont lie about what the actual data is showing. 

39F right now the Park - just incredible beach weather.  Have we ever had temps this warm in late Dec?  So much for winter, right?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/poe_index.php?lead=1&var=t

After two quick clicks here, you will think that the rods and cones in your eye have failed you---for you will see no blues, just evil reds.

Go all the way to the end.   I think big story will be a nation on fire this summer with loads of power failures.    Next winter looks worse than the current one, then improves to normal.   Yahooey!

2 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/poe_index.php?lead=1&var=t

After two quick clicks here, you will think that the rods and cones in your eye have failed you---for you will see no blues, just evil reds.

Go all the way to the end.   I think big story will be a nation on fire this summer with loads of power failures.    Next winter looks worse than the current one. 

We're discussing the 6-10 day period map. Please stop. 

2 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Go all the way to the end.   I think big story will be a nation on fire this summer with loads of power failures.    Next winter looks worse than the current one. 

I might plan an outdoor lunch on February 23rd, 2019.  Any idea on the high that day in Manhattan?

56 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I still surf winters but I avoid temps below 20 degrees now. Not from being cold believe it or not but becuse of asthma. I was out one day when the air was 18 and the waves very large (10 foot range) and I couldn't breath. Very scary. It is an amazing experience being out in the water in the snow!   

Yeah, breathing extreme cold can be tough even without having asthma. I used to ride the boardwalk on days when it was below 20 and I needed a good

ski mask and scarf over my face just to warm the air enough. Have no idea how the joggers on the LB boardwalk on the 1 degree morning in January

2004 were able to breath in that cold air. They were just wearing runners tights and a hoodie.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived