joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of what the models are saying lately for the long range. I still believe in a big pattern change sometime around late November. I think the AO goes positive for awhile mid month and drops late November . Following will be the EPO that will enhance the cold shot giving giving us a wintry type atmosphere. 

I'm not making any predictions, and I'm not even willing to make my first-and-final guess in the snowfall competition, but I can't shake this feeling that we might have a banner year. If we pick up a few inches early in December, then we could be on our way to another (well?) above-normal season.

Obviously, that's not the smart bet, and I've probably jinxed us just by putting it out there...

Eps is showing quite a shift in the pac d10-15. GOA trough is gone by d10 and fairly strong mean ridge builds in the Aleutians and northward d10-15. Pac jet is cutoff from Canada and the insane + anoms across Canada are largely reversed by d15. 

Looks like our dry spell could change fortunes centered around d10 or so. Very strong signal for a storm at long leads. EPS mean precip around 1". Some prolific rainers in the ind members. Fairly unanimous that we get some decent precip. 

Beyond that it looks like late fall with highs in the upper 40's and 50's. 

I'll be in CT for the holiday rooting for snow. Lol. 

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Eps is showing quite a shift in the pac d10-15. GOA trough is gone by d10 and fairly strong mean ridge builds in the Aleutians and northward d10-15. Pac jet is cutoff from Canada and the insane + anoms across Canada are largely reversed by d15. 

Looks like our dry spell could change fortunes centered around d10 or so. Very strong signal for a storm at long leads. EPS mean precip around 1". Some prolific rainers in the ind members. Fairly unanimous that we get some decent precip. 

Beyond that it looks like late fall with highs in the upper 40's and 50's. 

I'll be in CT for the holiday rooting for snow. Lol. 

You don't think that type of pattern could produce snow for our area?

1 hour ago, BTRWx said:

You don't think that type of pattern could produce snow for our area?

Unlikely. A big dynamic event or a perfect time into a -15 air mass isn't impossible but snow is pretty rare in Nov near the cities for a reason. Last week of the month is less of a climo fight but even then. Could be some good up slope in the apps on tap. 

Hopefully Canada starts loading up the cold in a couple weeks. That's step 1. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Unlikely. A big dynamic event or a perfect time into a -15 air mass isn't impossible but snow is pretty rare in Nov near the cities for a reason. Last week of the month is less of a climo fight but even then. Could be some good up slope in the apps on tap. 

Hopefully Canada starts loading up the cold in a couple weeks. That's step 1. 

Thanks, love your response!

Euro op + para and ensembles are still very bullish for a good rainer sometime around the 17th. 0z op runs both show gusty SE winds (30-50mph) and heavy rain in the area. EPS mean precip has bumped up to 1.2"+ for the area. 

GEFS coming around too. Would be nice to break the dry stretch with an actual storm. 

Very impressive 30 day comparison in the NPac. After the +PDO completely collapsed it's making a strong comeback due the the raging pac jet and parade of storms over the last month. Still a good bit of warm south of 40 centered around the dateline so it's a modest +PDO at best right now but the pac definitely looks better than it did a month ago. 

It's not particularly common for cold enso to also have a +PDO so we won't have a good handle on it for another month but if we go into Dec with a +PDO it would be a net + for early winter in the east. 

anomnight.10.6.2016.gif

anomnight.11.7.2016.gif

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro op + para and ensembles are still very bullish for a good rainer sometime around the 17th. 0z op runs both show gusty SE winds (30-50mph) and heavy rain in the area. EPS mean precip has bumped up to 1.2"+ for the area. 

GEFS coming around too. Would be nice to break the dry stretch with an actual storm. 

Bob, is the operational looking like it would start before the morning of the 16th down in SE VA?  Thanks

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived