Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

27 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Shame that the cold is on the other side of the globe. With seasonable temps this setup on the 00Z GFS would be interesting even though it is 8-10 days out. The surface representation seems somewhat wonky to what I would expect to see when I look at the 500's though. Has trouble really cranking up the associated low and moves it around quite a bit. It does generate enough cold to plaster the higher elevations in the mountains with up to 2 feet of snow. 

(Getting old and can't remember, :) but we can post images from weatherbell as long as it is not the Euro. Am I right on that?)

gfs_z500a_us_33.png

gfs_z500a_us_41.png

Yes.  that is correct.  I think that there are a handful of poster here that are allowed to post the euro images also. I am not sure exactly why they are permited.  Typically what happens is that someone will post an image of the euro and they get blasted... but then the same person who ridicules them will actually post a euro image themselves a couple of weeks later and qualify it with "this is an image from some other model"... and not mention the euro by its name

Its a wink wink nod nod thing.. but you have to cool enough to pull it off.  if not, you just get yelled at.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, PDIII said:

Yes.  that is correct.  I think that there are a handful of poster here that are allowed to post the euro images also. I am not sure exactly why they are permited.  Typically what happens is that someone will post an image of the euro and they get blasted... but then the same person who ridicules them will actually post a euro image themselves a couple of weeks later and qualify it with "this is an image from some other model"... and not mention the euro by its name

Its a wink wink nod nod thing.. but you have to cool enough to pull it off.  if not, you just get yelled at.

gfs_z500aNorm_us_35.png

6Z GFS shows a similiar setup. Model picked up on this revolving lp scenario 4 days ago or so and then lost it. Looks interesting for the Appalachians.

11 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

gfs_z500aNorm_us_35.png

6Z GFS shows a similiar setup. Model picked up on this revolving lp scenario 4 days ago or so and then lost it. Looks interesting for the Appalachians.

Euro doesn't agree at this point. Instead of cutting off the trough @ 500's it drives it straight through. Something to keep an eye on though. Really a shame that all the cold is elsewhere, otherwise with seasonable temps I think this would be somewhat interesting to follow. 

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Euro doesn't agree at this point. Instead of cutting off the trough @ 500's it drives it straight through. Something to keep an eye on though. Really a shame that all the cold is elsewhere, otherwise with seasonable temps I think this would be somewhat interesting to follow. 

With this scenario showing up on two straight GFS runs, maybe the EURO will show something similar today (as long as the 12z GFS still has it). Then it may get a little more interesting.

2 hours ago, Wonderdog said:

With this scenario showing up on two straight GFS runs, maybe the EURO will show something similar today (as long as the 12z GFS still has it). Then it may get a little more interesting.

I am just happy to have something to look at even if it is probably only for a day or two. After getting weatherbell earlier this week the models have been nothing but depressing with torch city wherever you look. I will say the models have been somewhat hinting at a flip in a couple of weeks. But you know how that goes.

4 hours ago, PDIII said:

Thanks. Pretty sure I had no problems last year with posting them (except Euro) but senility is setting in which makes it hard to remember for sure and I was just to damn lazy to go back and check. :)

I am fine with seasonable temps for Thanksgiving. No real improvement on the Pacific side showing up for the foreseeable future. Atlantic is not awful, hints of some NA >blocking< down the line in the means. We have seen that before though lol.

Just wanted to make sure WWL doesn't miss it.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

It is officially tracking season. GFS has it's first fantasy snowstorm setting up at day 16. Miller A being pulled up from the gulf coast with a closed upper low to its northwest looking to capture it. 

Not a Snowstorm, Rain, any snow would be After 384hrs. 12z Euro is chilly LR with snow showers in eastern PA next Sunday/Monday.

46 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I am fine with seasonable temps for Thanksgiving. No real improvement on the Pacific side showing up for the foreseeable future. Atlantic is not awful, hints of some NA >blocking< down the line in the means. We have seen that before though lol.

Just wanted to make sure WWL doesn't miss it.

Yea, the gefs and Canadian ens have trended towards making the best out of a bad pac pattern for the east starting in a week. 

The brief epo spike allows a decent cold dump leading into the holiday and now beyond that period blocking keeps lower heights in the east even though the EPac looks lIke crap while the middle of the country is a ridge sandwich. Hopefully the euro ens trend that way. 

29 minutes ago, NinjaWarrior2 said:

Not a Snowstorm, Rain, any snow would be After 384hrs. 12z Euro is chilly LR with snow showers in eastern PA next Sunday/Monday.

Yeah, initially that would be rain with marginal temps but looking at the 500's and the surface I would think after the 384hr that it most likely turns to heavy snow as the low winds up and pulls north into our region. But it doesn't really matter because the chances of this verifying are slim anyway. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Gefs has trended fairly strongly in the winter direction the last 5 runs. Legit -nao and trough in the east d10-15. Euro ens took a slight step towards this idea last night but not nearly nice as the gefs. CMC ens look more similar to the gefs than the euro. 

GFS did better than Euro last year imho, so let's go with gefs and call me a weenie. 

In all seriousness, I was impressed with the performance of the gfs last year, especially wrt the blizzard.  I don't know what they did to the model or what the Brits have failed to do with the Euro, but I'm inclined to stick with the gfs suite until the Euro  can prove it deserves the crown. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived