• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Mitch, I just like it when the ens look the same late in the runs. Well, I like it when it looks good anyways. GEFS was definitely first to jump on the -NAO idea. EPS shows more pac jet influence so temps are warmer and pattern isn't as sweet. But every run improves just a little and the gefs is steadfast right now. Sure would be a change if we start off Dec in a winter type pattern. 2013 was ok but it's pretty much been 6 years since we had a December where it felt like winter most of the month. 

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Mitch, I just like it when the ens look the same late in the runs. Well, I like it when it looks good anyways. GEFS was definitely first to jump on the -NAO idea. EPS shows more pac jet influence so temps are warmer and pattern isn't as sweet. But every run improves just a little and the gefs is steadfast right now. Sure would be a change if we start off Dec in a winter type pattern. 2013 was ok but it's pretty much been 6 years since we had a December where it felt like winter most of the month. 

Meh, 7 years since a decent December.  I don't consider 12/10 anything other than a train wreck. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Weeklies look pretty sweet. Especially mid Dec. Aleutian low, -epo/+pna/-nao/-ao. Lol. Nina? What nina? Looks like a nino. 

Was just looking at the new weeklies.  

UK paints essentially a neutral enso with +PDO for back half of winter.  Hopefully this bloody strat helps this winter.  

Really thought we would have a solid Nina this winter but...

IMG_3074.PNG

11 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Bob,  we can't buy this...or can we.  :o

The GEFS hasn't budged in like 6 runs in a row. With the 18z being the best of the crop so far. 

I'm not biting for a while but definitely chasing the lure thinking about it...

I'm all in on #13&15. #11 should be acceptable in your area.

happyhour.JPG

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The GEFS hasn't budged in like 6 runs in a row. With the 18z being the best of the crop so far. 

I'm not biting for a while but definitely chasing the lure thinking about it...

I'm all in on #13&15. #11 should be acceptable in your area.

This spit out a 6-8" in our mtns with 2-3" across the piedmont (my area) on 12/3/10.   Uncanny. 

IMG_3080.GIF

IMG_3082.PNG

48 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Weenie inflation

I got an email from Accuwx a few weeks ago offering 6 months of Pro for $10/month, but I was busy at the time I was going through my emails and forgot about the offer. Should have done it. Oh well.  I'll live. The only thing I like about Accuwx are a few of the Euro products.

56 minutes ago, PaEasternWX said:

Really love the look!. PNA could be better though.

4indices.png

At some point the -NAO forecast is going to work out. However, over the past few months, the NAO forecasts have been very inaccurate in the long range. Just something to keep in mind as we watch the mid-end of November. 

IMG_2836.JPG

Talking longer range so things can and will change, but at this point I favor the first opportunity over the second.

The 5 day avg 500mb on day 15 shows an overall good look with key players in place. The one hangup though is the position of the trough on the east coast. At this point it is probably situated to far east to be of much benefit to our region. That look in my mind probably favors north of our region, most likely New England. 

gfs-ens_z500aMean_namer_11.png

Though I would maybe like to see the east coast trough shift just a touch more south and east the 5 day avg. on day 10 shows much promise. Over the last day or two this time period has steadily improved as well. Trough position, 850 temps and surface temps have all steadily improved to where we have this from the 00Z GEFS run.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_namer_6.png

gfs-ens_T2maMean_namer_6.png

Edit: Can't show the 00Z EPS but it also has a great look, very similar to GEFS, for the 5 day avg. on day 10. Also on the second event it follows the GEFS and is too far east with the trough..

The GEFS mean NAO/AO looks great down the line but what I find more interesting with the mean is that there are no positive members in the spread from the 27th onward. It's unanimous. The EPS has much more spread in the positive direction but the mean is negative still. Might just be due to more EPS members. Hard to say but the GEFS certainly looks like a pattern we haven't seen since 2009-10. 

gefs ao.JPG

gefs nao.JPG

The rather remarkable recovery of the collapsed +PDO is pretty wild. It's anti-nina too. It was Pac jet driven and is a good example of how SSTA's on the NPac can be easily bullied with pattern persistence. Looks like an aleutian ridge is in the cards for a time coming up. That can shuffle things. Keeping warm anomalies along the west coast could potentially prove difficult with an aleutian ridge but who knows if the LR guidance is right and if it is, how persistent will it be? 

anomnight.11.14.2016.gif

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived