Newest Member
    joxey
2016/17 Drought & Fire Concerns

NWNC2015

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dwagner88 said:

Here is a picture taken yesterday of the largest fire so far (Rough Ridge in North GA just south of the TN border):

12455615_G.jpg]

As of last night it was over 10000 acres. Has doubled in size since Wednesday. This area is supposed to receive 20-30 mph winds tonight.

Amazing photo as others said! 

GFS shows .08 in rain in the 16 day range.  This is going to get uglier and uglier. 

POLICE: WANNABE WEATHERMAN SET FIRE TO GAIN FACEBOOK VIEWS

By Associated Press

Nov. 11, 2016 6:38 PM ET

ATLANTA (AP) — A wannabe weatherman was jailed for arson after admitting he started a wildfire to draw attention to his selfie videos on Facebook, his town's police chief said Friday. 

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2016/And-in-Kentucky-police-say-a-wannabe-weatherman-was-arrested-after-admitting-to-setting-a-fire-to-draw-attention-to-his-selfie-videos-on-Facebook/id-b4b4fa3df6f44d19ba680dfafa7af00f?utm_content=bufferebcf7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

On 11/11/2016 at 3:55 PM, UnionWX said:

wow. nice capture!

Yeah that's awesome. 

Horrible week dealing with the smoke here. First few days i was at home then spent a few in gainesville and it was indeed awful. It was thick enough at times to dim the sunlight quite a bit and enough of it to see it over just a few feet (10 feet)distance. If you spent more than a few minutes outside your clothes smelt like it.

Finally, after days of being choked by it though the east winds have finally given us a break. Cant believe its bad enough that wildfires are a significant issue. What a horrible, depressing, and frustrating fall it's been. Feel like I have moved to California with all this dry, sunny, warmth,  and smoke. Unreal how long this dry weather has lasted and still how little hope there is for any significant rainfall for the foreseeable future. Mother nature sure owes us with a few big winter storms for all of this that's for sure.

Near term /through tonight/... as of 2:45 am EST Sunday... Early this morning, Canadian high pressure was centered in the eastern Ohio Valley. Light winds, clear skies and a dry ground has allowed pre-dawn temperatures to fall well into the 20s for many locations and even some teens in the deeper valleys. The 00z/13 rnk sounding measured a precipitable water value of 0.10 inches, which is one of the driest soundings on record for this date and time.

13 hours ago, Lookout said:

Yeah that's awesome. 

Horrible week dealing with the smoke here. First few days i was at home then spent a few in gainesville and it was indeed awful. It was thick enough at times to dim the sunlight quite a bit and enough of it to see it over just a few feet (10 feet)distance. If you spent more than a few minutes outside your clothes smelt like it.

Finally, after days of being choked by it though the east winds have finally given us a break. Cant believe its bad enough that wildfires are a significant issue. What a horrible, depressing, and frustrating fall it's been. Feel like I have moved to California with all this dry, sunny, warmth,  and smoke. Unreal how long this dry weather has lasted and still how little hope there is for any significant rainfall for the foreseeable future. Mother nature sure owes us with a few big winter storms for all of this that's for sure.

This has been some pretty incredible weather.     The string of days with zero rain is becoming epic.  2007 I remember bein bad but I was lucky enough to not have to deal with smoke day after day.  I quit smoking a few months ago and can smell everything now.  I'm about done waking up and going outside to smell plastic burning and a slight haze in the air of smoke.  

Right now it's a breezy 55 with patchy smoke and it smells like fire.  Amazing. 

I hust saw a teport on the news that the rough ridge fire near the tn/ga border is now the largest active wildfire in the country.  A lot of that terrain is no mans land out in the middle of nowhere.  It will be difficult to contain let alone put out anytime soon. 

To to give readers an idea of how remote the terrain is here is roughly where the fire is.  Someone please correct me if that's not right.  Elevation goes up over 3500' in that area.

IMG_1559.PNG

16 hours ago, Lookout said:

Yeah that's awesome. 

Are you not getting any rain today?

51 minutes ago, J.C. said:

Are you not getting any rain today?

I don't know about over his way, but we were supposed to be mostly cloudy with a chance of rain here and it's not happening.  There's a lot of sun, smoke and haze.

Starting to feel pretty nervous.  If those fires start moving southward there's a big population of people at risk.

1 hour ago, jshetley said:

The mountains of NC did not get 1 drop from this except maybe right on the SC line. The fires were untouched and will just keep going..

There's more to it than just drops of rain...I'm sure some of the fire areas saw a rise humidity levels with it passing close by upstate SC. That will help and cooler temps.

Ive been out in SW NC all weekend. Depending on where you were and the wind direction, you could have some dense smoke to just smoke lingering in the air and make it pretty hazy. Will go thru my pics and post a few. Waynesville was pretty smoky yesterday morning then last night it cleared up and we got done with dinner around 10pm and it was smoky again. this morning was more smoky than yesterday morning. It wasnt that bad yesterday in Cherokee though

Saw the Lake Lure fire from I 40 heading west Fri afternoon I think it was around Hickory area.

Archived