• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016/17 Drought & Fire Concerns

NWNC2015

With the fire I mentioned earlier, I can confirm it was a structure fire that the wind caught and started several brush fires. 120 acres have been/ or currently are burning. expected to take several days to extinguish. I'm also hearing rumors that the table rock fire jumped containment lines this evening.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

We left WJ this morning, headed back home to Raleigh.  We took 16 into Wilkesboro @ 421.  Just past Glendale Springs, we saw smoke to the south.  That's unlikely to be the fire you are describing, but there was something pretty big burning in that area.

That was probably the Wilbar fire if it was this morning I heard the fire department siren go off around 10pm last night.

The Ashe County fires are becoming more noticeably visible with the smoke and et cetera here. Very cold weather to be working in...below was around sunset. Christmas tree farms...homes...are in danger last I heard.

15078932_10103785638042929_2470993672667 

WJP:

UPDATE: An N.C. Forest Service spokesman said Sunday evening that a forest fire being fought in Ashe County is off Water Tank Road and U.S. 221 in the Mulatto Mountain area. The spokesman said over 90 firefighters were on the scene. According to media reports, over 100 acres had burned by nightfall and homes were threatened. A large plume of smoke from the fire was visible over the Blue Ridge Mountains from the Wilkesboros Sunday afternoon.

5 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

WJP:

UPDATE: An N.C. Forest Service spokesman said Sunday evening that a forest fire being fought in Ashe County is off Water Tank Road and U.S. 221 in the Mulatto Mountain area. The spokesman said over 90 firefighters were on the scene. According to media reports, over 100 acres had burned by nightfall and homes were threatened. A large plume of smoke from the fire was visible over the Blue Ridge Mountains from the Wilkesboros Sunday afternoon.

One of my good friends lives in Fleetwood Falls and he sent this video of that fire.  He didn't shoot the video but it was shared with him. 

19 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

I need a drone like that ^

Watauga and Wilkes Counties sent more help to Ashe County this morning. California, Oregon, and Alaska crews are coming according to the Jefferson Post.

Goals:

Have it under control by Wednesday

Protect 24 homes and 9 structures in danger

Limit to 450 acres or less

I'm sitting at college watching the fire currently and looking at it, it looked worse yesterday than it does today 

Interesting, they are not letting the public listen in on this one and no details are available on the new fire.

9:30pm Monday November 21 – Fire crews have switched to a radio frequency, that unless in the immediate fire area, is not able to be listen to by scanners at large. Updated information will be posted as it becomes available on Tuesday morning.

7:45pm Monday November 21, 2016 – Multiple fire departments have been dispatched to a large woods fire in the Sampson area of Watauga/Caldwell. Units from departments in both Watauga and Caldwell are responding to the scene.

19 hours ago, gwlee7 said:
One of my good friends lives in Fleetwood Falls and he sent this video of that fire.  He didn't shoot the video but it was shared with him. 

NC forest service just posted this...I wasn't really aware of this.

DRONES NOT ALLOWED
Unmanned Aircraft Systems, a.k.a. “drones,” should never be flown over or near a wildfire. Unauthorized drone flights over or near a wildfire could cause serious injury or death to firefighters in the air and/or firefighters and members of the public on the ground. Firefighting aircraft – such as air attack aircraft, lead planes, airtankers and helicopters – typically fly in smoky, windy and turbulent conditions. Safety depends on knowing what other aircraft are operating in the airspace and where they are at all times… If drones fly, critical air support over wildfires cannot.

North Carolina is offering a reward of up to $10,000 to be issued to anyone who provides information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who are responsible for setting wildfires in western North Carolina. Anyone having information concerning these wildfires should contact Macon County Crimestoppers at (828) 349-2600 or Jackson County Crimestoppers at (828) 631-1125.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs is seeking information regarding arson fires on Indian Lands of North Carolina through the WeTip Program. Up to $10,000 is being offered through this anonymous program. WeTip can be contacted through their website: www.wetip.com or by calling their hotline at (800) 47-ARSON ((800) 472-7766).

On 11/21/2016 at 0:48 AM, NWNC2015 said:

That was probably the Wilbar fire if it was this morning I heard the fire department siren go off around 10pm last night.

The Ashe County fires are becoming more noticeably visible with the smoke and et cetera here. Very cold weather to be working in...below was around sunset. Christmas tree farms...homes...are in danger last I heard.

15078932_10103785638042929_2470993672667 

Which Mountain Ridgeline is that with the 3 Crosses on the Summit?

Off of which road?   Ashe County?

I have never seen that view.

It's nice (except for the fire).

Thank you.

Gonna be making the annual pilgrimage up near Sparta Friday for the ole family tree. Already weary about cutting a live tree down that hasn't been watered in 30 days. Anyway thanks for keeping us posted with any local info .

Also does anyone know what happened to the Browns Family resteraunt in Sparta. Been ordering like 10 coconut pies to bring back home every year on black Friday and apparently it's closed. It was started and run for years by a African American family. The meringue on those pies was old school and something to behold. Thanks in advance for any info. Look forward to those pies more than the trees. bummer

11 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Rock Mountain fire is getting out of control.  30,000 acres burned with 12,000 acres currently on fire. 

http://www.ajc.com/news/wildfire-georgia-north-carolina-border-could-double-size/mtXgPASkDLoxXOBsVsaEeI/

It's up to 16000 now and only 30% contained . 

The arsonist started another fire last night near the wayah bald fire tower it's about 15 acres . 

He started another one the night before that was put out by the fire departments . 

Ok so I got blood and stuff coming out of my nose...should I get that checked out? The air is horrible, can't tell occasionally if its cloudy, smoke, or about to snow at night. It looked like hell last night with the sun a dark red and smoke blowing under the street lights at the businesses on 421. Lord it was crowded with all the holiday shopping and travel. It smelled like a campground. 

Luckily no visible ash falling from the sky here but it is further west. 

19 minutes ago, alhooks13 said:

Today is the smokiest it has been in my area (Burke Co. mountains).  I took this photo yesterday from Grandfather Mountain.  It is the Watauga/Caldwell fire.

That overcast is making me sneeze blood. Thinking about buying a mask. It is so freaking dry and cold at night. Never experienced anything like this before. 

Archived