Newest Member
    joxey
2016/17 Drought & Fire Concerns

NWNC2015

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

It's about to get worse...instead of fighting wildfires in the 20s at night overnight temps will be well above freezing in the 40s.

south-mountains-state-park-fire.jpg

Well, there is a chance of rain tonight through tomorrow morning here in North GA. I'm not sure about North Carolina though. This is what FFC had to say this afternoon:

Have continued with increasing POP chances mainly across N GA
beginning this evening/tonight and continuing through Thu morning.

NWS Blacksburg...don't think I have ever seen such a long fire weather outlook.

Fire weather... as of 300 PM EST Wednesday... A cold front will approach the region tonight. In advance of it, expect increase dew point values, clouds, and eventually some showers arriving after midnight. The bulk of the precipitation will be across parts of southeast West Virginia, eastward into the James River Valley of Virginia. The farther south you are of this region, the smaller your chances of precipitation. Maximum relative humidities will climb into the 80s percent range at most locations. On Thanksgiving, look for winds to become westerly in the wake of the cold front with showers decreasing in coverage by the late morning at most locations. Mostly cloudy to cloudy conditions will also continue through the morning with decreasing coverage east of the Blue Ridge by the afternoon. Minimum daytime humidities will be notably higher than those of today. Expect mid 50s to near 60 percent east of the Blue Ridge with mid 60s to near 70 percent across the mountains. High pressure will return to the area on Friday before another dry cold front crosses our area on Saturday. More high pressure is in store for the start of next week. Expect a gradual trend towards lower daytime relative humidities through Sunday, with the 30s percent range common by then. Precipitation chances increase Tuesday into Wednesday as a substantial cold front is expected to cross the area. The confidence of a wetting rain from this system is increasing.

UPDATE: According to an update from the N.C. Forest Service, the Horton fire in southeastern Watauga County was 65 percent contained and covered about 900 acres as of 2 p.m. Wednesday. About 125 emergency personnel from 26 agencies were on the scene. Firefighting crews have responded from as far away as New Jersey, Arizona and Florida. The firefighting priorities are focused on protecting homes within and near the fire area. No structures have been burned and debris removal and burnout operations continue around homes. Multiple air resources are supporting burnout operations. Two 800-gallon single engine air tankers and a helicopter are supporting crews on the ground. Weather conditions continue to be favorable for fire operations. If operations continue successfully full containment may be reached by Friday. Incident Commander Brent Triplett said, “It’s a very tough thing for first responders to be away from their homes and families around Thanksgiving, but our firefighters are a dedicated group of folks. We all just try to encourage each other as much as we can.” The Watauga County Sheriff’s Office is patrolling the fire perimeter.

22 hours ago, franklin NCwx said:

It's up to 16000 now and only 30% contained . 

The arsonist started another fire last night near the wayah bald fire tower it's about 15 acres . 

He started another one the night before that was put out by the fire departments . 

Arson, what a horrible crime.  This person or people are playing with death.  Someone is going to get hurt if this keeps happening.

im going to take some photos this week of some lakes, streams and ponds so I can truly convey how bad the drought is getting here. 

3 hours ago, LithiaWx said:

Arson, what a horrible crime.  This person or people are playing with death.  Someone is going to get hurt if this keeps happening.

im going to take some photos this week of some lakes, streams and ponds so I can truly convey how bad the drought is getting here. 

Hopefully a week from now the lakes, streams, ponds, etc will look a lot better than they do today. 2-3" looks possible next week if the WPC is right.

7 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

People are letting off fireworks here...not sure if that's a great idea with a burn ban? Don't know the rules with all that. 

GA gov has explicitly banned fireworks this year.  The bigger ones have only been legal here for a couple of years and we have a lot of neighbors who go spend hundreds on them every holiday.  I hope they all manage to resist the temptation over the holidays, we have nothing but dry forest and fields around here.  Everything would go up.

Worth checking with your state and reporting offenders, imho.  Beats losing lives or property.

4 minutes ago, CherokeeGA said:

GA gov has explicitly banned fireworks this year.  The bigger ones have only been legal here for a couple of years and we have a lot of neighbors who go spend hundreds on them every holiday.  I hope they all manage to resist the temptation over the holidays, we have nothing but dry forest and fields around here.  Everything would go up.

Worth checking with your state and reporting offenders, imho.  Beats losing lives or property.

At least with the 5+ inches of rain we should see between now and New Years, I think it would be safe to shoot fireworks for New Years.

16 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

This is essentially like tracking a winter storm that has you in the bullseye four days out.  Please, please, please let it rain a lot here!  And you know it's real when cheez posts. 

Lol.. same here. this is the first time I have  tracked a legitimate rain event from over a week out looking for rain. this time of year it's usually tracking what might be a snow event turning into a rain event. hopefully we can keep the -Pna for awhile and get the rain train going!

6 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Parts of the SE are still on track for a 2-3" event with locally higher amounts.  This being stretched out over a couple of days is the best we could have asked for.  Lovin the possibilities headed to the ATL. 

I bought a new rain gauge today and tried to stick it in the ground. The ground is so dry that it's nearly impossible !

Archived