Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z GFS Fantasy Range, hy brid storm brings feet of rain to SNE

USCAPEWEATHERAF

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I've had zero interest in this thing until at least tomorrow night. Model runs are only slightly better than useless still at this point in terms of an NE potential impact. 

I can't remember the last time we had a 20+ page thread for a weather event not even inside of 7 days yet for New England, haha.  Not sure that's ever happened.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AS far as I can tell, this GFS oper run is actually further west in the MA between D5 and 7.5. It's more so interacting indirectly with land down the coast, too. 

this solution is more of a manageable heavy rain and wind event up this way - if taken verbatim... Some impressive rains and probable flooding, and wind that would do some damage But both aspects less than prior runs.   Ironically ... close to an egg-in-the-face run, because after a week of consternation, what if the thing ends up coming on-board S of us? It is not out of the realm of possibilities, of course. 

enters sad trumpet - 

I don't personally have much opinion change at this point; sort of in Will's camp on this - although, I disagree a little on one intimation:  monitoring up to this point is not really futile.  I don't believe that is the case.  one thing that is on the table; should this thing right turn and steam roll on up - there are a lot of models that get awards for nailing this like ...10 days out ;)    - if perhaps contesting alone, that has value.  interesting.  Sandy was pretty well handled at extended lead, too - whose to say this one can't be?   Also, the hard right idea in its self was pretty unanimously depicted days ago, so the models are already showing some remarkable skill ... at least to this point.  Let's get the right turn going heh.  

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I can't remember the last time we had a 20+ page thread for a weather event not even inside of 7 days yet for New England, haha.  Not sure that's ever happened.

Sandy. Almost every sub forum had a Sandy thread well before it had even formed. Like October 21-22.

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

What makes it just miss? Is it the timing or influence of the low out in the Atlantic?

A bit slower than the GFS..might be because of the ULL hanging over us and keeping the storm motion slow to the south. If it were faster or if the ULL moved out...probably would come closer. 

As usual when you are 7-8 days out...tiny nuances are going to be tough to model and that will equal chaos when it comes to storm track. 

5 pm advisory is out and it appears the turn has happened - or is beginning ...   NW at 3 kts after doing a small scaled pinwheel.   150 mph wind and down to 940 mb again.  I think it may strengthen more legit than the circumstantial wind velocity on the 11 pm last night but we'll see.. just a hunch.    

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It seems not to be on many people's radar at the moment.  Hype prob won't start until Monday if needed at all. 

"hype" is never needed ...  

i know what you meant - notification in general.  but that's a problem with media for profit.  they'll have no compunctions about using something ...anything and plying the impressionable masses into 'tuning in'  Heh, hurricanes for profit -

yep, get ready for the 'storm surge' of media coverage 

Archived