CHSVol
12z GFS Fantasy Range, hy brid storm brings feet of rain to SNE

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There isn't one person here who wants the Euro. We want a direct hit

We pray for the East turn so no homeowners or businesses suffer any damage or destruction. Sorry I am all set with canes Bring on softly falling snow piled to the first level windows .  

The SW track is history the past 6hrs has been W with a N wobble thrown in. Crunch time for a W-NW quadrant deterioration. Max intensity achieved. Noticing the frontal boundary has made it just about to my LAT. Td's just to my North are in the 50's, close but no c-i-g-a-r, and washing out.    

2 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

The SW track is history the past 6hrs has been W with a N wobble thrown in. Crunch time for a W-NW quadrant deterioration. Max intensity achieved. Noticing the frontal boundary has made it just about to my LAT. Td's just to my North are in the 50's, close but no c-i-g-a-r, and washing out.    

shear too 

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

shear too 

Those Westerlies already slowing Matthew down. I hope the influencing doesn't wash-out too. Many models have a distinct jog to NW late in believability range. Casey swings and misses by 100 miles offshore is okay and think most Floridians agree.

ULL was more pronounced on the 6z GFS run vs last night. Am actually a little surprised it still hooked up the coast. Thought it would shoot east. Huge difference in the Euro runs. Stalling for the whole run in the Bahamas, vs. blasting Bermuda. Interesting how quickly it breaks down the ridging. Well, just more possibilities in this hazy superposition of possible outcomes. We watch.

As long as this thing moves at a snail's pace in the lower latitudes, this is going to be an interminable 7 days.

I'll be in Maine next weekend regardless of whether it hits there.  The question is whether I'm spending the time painting or do I piss my wife off by spending time looking out the window the whole time.  :) 

If things do indeed like there will be something of note up there, I might need to buy a cheap station.  I don't think I can spring for another DP2, but I'd like to get something that can wirelessly connect to the internet.

re Matthew peaked:   ..i spoke a bit about this late last evening - to re-iterate, my hunch is that the Cat 5 wind measures immediately leading to the 11 pm advisory may have had an isallobaric acceleration goosing the velocities.  The barometric pressure of Matthew is well above the 'more typical' depths we find in truer top tier cyclones.  

for those that don't know - that's basically wind responding to rapid pressure changes at a faster right than Coriolis balancing - at our latitude the integral requires... oh, 6 to 9 hours (est) for the wind to begin 'bending' according to the 'right-hand rule' so when pressure changes exceed those time differentials the system will ingest wind straight across the isobaric layout.  

but that means that a system already with momentum will 'pulse' wind to an excited velocity over the top of suggested wind velocity of the balanced flow. 

Matthew is a perfect candidate to for that type of impulse mass-restoring force.   The pressure at its core cleaved out a 45 to 50 mbar change in like 15 hours!! ... 

This could all plausibly offer some explanation why the wind was 160 mph at a pressure in the lower 940s ... which is some 20 to 25 mbar anomalously shallow for that wind.  

There is also the possibility that the environmental pressure outside Matthew is unusually high, such that this becomes a debate of relativity - but...20 25 mbars?  I mean...we don't have polar high pressure system parked over the Caribbean .. anyway - i suggested then we might see the winds back down a tad once the restoring 'catches up' to the pressure gradient (so to speak) so i'm not surprised that we're at Cat 4 right now.  

Having said that ... yeah, when RECON gets in there in a couple hours here, they may find a deeper pressure and a higher wind - that would make much of this difficult to prove.

-------------

as far as the models ... from where I am sitting, the differences, albeit extreme, are:

1   ...possibly if not probably just an artifact of this being 7 days out before it gets really into 'sit up and take notice' time.  as has been hammered, over and over again and is also the epitome of common sense... too many butterflies stirring up the pot given that much time lead.

2   ...i think also having to do with each model camps' native biases.  Although corrected substantially over the years, there are still vestiges in each for what used to be pretty gross in their respect late middle and extended tendencies.  in the case of the Euro, too much N-S oriented amplitude; in the case of the GFS, just about the opposite, which is too much E-W in almost equal measure. 

In this case, the GFS seems to be longitudinally quicker with the MW trough, which allows it to get E faster and effectively 'picks up' Matthew before it can escape.  That quicker total evolution has a transitive sort of feed-back, too, in that i helps solidify taller heights down stream SE of NS..  so in total, it ends up with a conduit that gives Matthew no other place to go.  

Contrasting, the Euro is deeper in latitude in the MW with a slightly slower axial velocity with the trough.  Not hugely so in either case ...but probably enough.  It also is deeper with a trough feature it deposits ESE of NS, that it then retrogrades toward CC - that excites a tug more east earlier in Matthew, then when the trough in the MW does arrive, he's scooting ENE.  

3   ... How does one correct for either?    ...let me know - I'm curious.  

Tip's the last person around using a keyboard to write posts...lol.

No one wants a cane up their fanny but then again Kevin was getting all happy where he lost power for 2 weeks while his wife took his crying children to a safe abode during Halloween 2011 event.

i would like the hybrid bringing heavy nor'easter like conds.

Archived