• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

Well, it’s nice to see snow talk working its way into the BTV NWS forecast discussion – it looks like they’re thinking of flakes as early as Saturday, which isn’t all that far away at this point:

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...

As of 502 AM EDT Tuesday... Mid-level trough becomes negatively tilted late Friday as it interacts with coastal low followed by rapid strengthening of the surface low come Saturday morning. As the surface low moves east into Maine, cold air filters in on NW flow. 540 thickness line moves into the area, indicating possibility for some snow showers Saturday morning, mainly in the higher elevations. Rain continues with possible breaks as dry slot may develop on Saturday. The low becomes closed and stacked during the day, with several pieces of vorticity embedded in cyclonic flow keeping a chance for precipitation through at least Sunday. Storm total QPF may vary widely based on where deformation zone develops Friday.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Well, it’s nice to see snow talk working its way into the BTV NWS forecast discussion – it looks like they’re thinking of flakes as early as Saturday, which isn’t all that far away at this point:

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...

As of 502 AM EDT Tuesday... Mid-level trough becomes negatively tilted late Friday as it interacts with coastal low followed by rapid strengthening of the surface low come Saturday morning. As the surface low moves east into Maine, cold air filters in on NW flow. 540 thickness line moves into the area, indicating possibility for some snow showers Saturday morning, mainly in the higher elevations. Rain continues with possible breaks as dry slot may develop on Saturday. The low becomes closed and stacked during the day, with several pieces of vorticity embedded in cyclonic flow keeping a chance for precipitation through at least Sunday. Storm total QPF may vary widely based on where deformation zone develops Friday.

It sure is! :) Time for my usual drive up to Bolton to catch the first snow.

30 minutes ago, mreaves said:

62° here in Capital City.  Had to run home at lunch and the car thermo read 57° for a little bit.

49F here.  Wood burning stove going all day with the dark dreary skies.  

Ladybugs will be out in full force tomorrow.  They know cold weather is coming and time to swarm and find those warm places to winter.

BTV snow discussion:

Snow levels start near summit levels on Friday Night...but as 850mb temps drops below 0c by 06z Saturday and near 2000 feet by 12z Saturday...expect snow levels near 2000 feet by 12z Saturday. These temps profiles support accumulating snow with several inches likely above 2000 feet by 15z Saturday. Favorable upslope winds and moisture continue on Saturday into Sunday with progged 850mb and 925mb temps near 0C...supporting additional accumulating mountain snow. Thinking a few wet snow flakes are possible in the valley floor on Saturday Night...but no accumulation. Given setup and thermal profiles thinking 6 to 10 inches is possible near summits above 3500 feet from Mt Mansfield to Jay Peak and over the Northern Dacks...with 3 to 6 inches in midslope areas...and dusting to 3 inches between 1500 and 2000 by Sunday. These early season mountain snow accumulations are always tricky and complex so stay tuned. Unlike earlier potential events this year...this system will have favorable moisture in the snow growth region and better cold air advection on back side.

3 hours ago, ApacheTrout said:

83F here in Orwell.  We're under a Severe Ladybug Warning, no doubt, as the density level of 50/screen door panel has been achieved.

Man, I just got home and the lady bugs are just swarming everywhere...getting in every crack and crevis.  Reminds of SE PAwith the stink bugs, man there would be some epic invasions in OCT. Those things are so nasty. Their namesake is true as well, they reek. 2010 I killed at least 500 in my house in PA.

I haven't seen any here in VT though.

9 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Man, I just got home and the lady bugs are just swarming everywhere...getting in every crack and crevis.  Reminds of SE PAwith the stink bugs, man there would be some epic invasions in OCT. Those things are so nasty. Their namesake is true as well, they reek. 2010 I killed at least 500 in my house in PA.

I haven't seen any here in VT though.

We get the stink bugs and lady bugs for a few warm days every October. The difference this year is that I have a dozen chickens. They pick them off of the foundation and I cringe with every loud crunch. 

50 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We get the stink bugs and lady bugs for a few warm days every October. The difference this year is that I have a dozen chickens. They pick them off of the foundation and I cringe with every loud crunch. 

Because my house is 220 years old we have had swarms of ladybugs and cluster flies.  They get in all the cracks and then in the spring they are buzzing around inside the house.  3 years ago we decided to do something about it.  So we use a pest company to come out in Mid September and they spray a insecticide around every window.  It takes an hour to dry and they say it is not harmful to humans once dried.  Now no more ladybugs or flies in the house.  Yesterday they were all over the screens. On each outside window sill there were hundreds dead.  So it works very well.  Cost $225 per year but I think its worth it if you have lots of cracks for them to get in. Reprieve today with a high of 51F so far. 

Meanwhile I just noticed Burlington VT was still 78F at 8pm.  Must be some type of record for Oct 18th at that time in the evening.

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Because my house is 220 years old we have had swarms of ladybugs and cluster flies.  They get in all the cracks and then in the spring they are buzzing around inside the house.  3 years ago we decided to do something about it.  So we use a pest company to come out in Mid September and they spray a insecticide around every window.  It takes an hour to dry and they say it is not harmful to humans once dried.  Now no more ladybugs or flies in the house.  Yesterday they were all over the screens. On each outside window sill there were hundreds dead.  So it works very well.  Cost $225 per year but I think its worth it if you have lots of cracks for them to get in. Reprieve today with a high of 51F so far. 

Meanwhile I just noticed Burlington VT was still 78F at 8pm.  Must be some type of record for Oct 18th at that time in the evening.

Glad we don't live there. 

Drove in and out of the mank coming home from BOS  late afternoon today where I had been for work since Sat.

Socked in from BOS heading west out Rte 2 then cleared up quickly right past KFIT and sunny skies all the way to I-91. Temp went from 60 to low 70s quickly past KFIT. Sunny up 91 to brattleboro vt where low clouds returned. Some pea soup heading up the eastern slopes of the greens with temps in 50s. Had the heat on in the car and then got over the crest and started heading down the west slopes and temp in car was rocketing up, windows went down and air was really warm. So went from heat on to windows down within 10 miles. Some cool microclimate stuff. I bet many people in the eastern slope mtn towns stuck in the 50s all day had no clue it was 85F 10 -15mins away.

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

BTV snow discussion:

Snow levels start near summit levels on Friday Night...but as 850mb temps drops below 0c by 06z Saturday and near 2000 feet by 12z Saturday...expect snow levels near 2000 feet by 12z Saturday. These temps profiles support accumulating snow with several inches likely above 2000 feet by 15z Saturday. Favorable upslope winds and moisture continue on Saturday into Sunday with progged 850mb and 925mb temps near 0C...supporting additional accumulating mountain snow. Thinking a few wet snow flakes are possible in the valley floor on Saturday Night...but no accumulation. Given setup and thermal profiles thinking 6 to 10 inches is possible near summits above 3500 feet from Mt Mansfield to Jay Peak and over the Northern Dacks...with 3 to 6 inches in midslope areas...and dusting to 3 inches between 1500 and 2000 by Sunday. These early season mountain snow accumulations are always tricky and complex so stay tuned. Unlike earlier potential events this year...this system will have favorable moisture in the snow growth region and better cold air advection on back side.

Interesting how gung-ho the NWS is. I'm not that sold. I'd say 6-10 is a little high. Also, above 3500 feet in the greens is like zero places. the 3-6 calls seems more likely to verify widespread. I'm just worried about the volume of warm air and the timing of the cold air intrusion. 

17 minutes ago, adk said:

Interesting how gung-ho the NWS is. I'm not that sold. I'd say 6-10 is a little high. Also, above 3500 feet in the greens is like zero places. the 3-6 calls seems more likely to verify widespread. I'm just worried about the volume of warm air and the timing of the cold air intrusion. 

Yeah it is a little rare to get them to forecast snow amounts on the Long Term AFD, especially for uninhabited areas.

But I love the passion.  No one cares about the weather elsewhere, just focus on the mountains.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it is a little rare to get them to forecast snow amounts on the Long Term AFD, especially for uninhabited areas.

But I love the passion.  No one cares about the weather elsewhere, just focus on the mountains.

Let’s say they know their AFD-reading audience.  They’ve got a fairly standard mention of the snow in this morning’s update:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

As of 442 AM EDT Wednesday...As the trough swings through Saturday night into Sunday, W-NW flow filters into the North Country with cooler temperatures and some wrap around precip producing snow showers Saturday night, mainly for areas above 1500 feet. Upslope showers taper off Sunday night before a mid-level shortwave trough brings another chance for showers Monday, followed by building high pressure for the mid-week.

There are lots of icons with flakes in the point forecasts though – we’ve even got snow potential indicated at our location down in the valley bottom and I think that’s the first time I’ve seen that this season.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Let’s say they know their AFD-reading audience.  They’ve got a fairly standard mention of the snow in this morning’s update:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

As of 442 AM EDT Wednesday...As the trough swings through Saturday night into Sunday, W-NW flow filters into the North Country with cooler temperatures and some wrap around precip producing snow showers Saturday night, mainly for areas above 1500 feet. Upslope showers taper off Sunday night before a mid-level shortwave trough brings another chance for showers Monday, followed by building high pressure for the mid-week.

There are lots of icons with flakes in the point forecasts though – we’ve even got snow potential indicated at our location down in the valley bottom and I think that’s the first time I’ve seen that this season.

I noticed the discussion was less bullish. Which aligns with the less-good 6z GFS.  Frankly till we get within the High-Res NAM range I don't think we have a clue about what this will do.  

THOUGH, since I have to be a legal conference in Toronto, there is good karma support for snow. 

19 minutes ago, adk said:

I noticed the discussion was less bullish. Which aligns with the less-good 6z GFS.  Frankly till we get within the High-Res NAM range I don't think we have a clue about what this will do.  

THOUGH, since I have to be a legal conference in Toronto, there is good karma support for snow. 

Discussion is less bullish because of the forecaster I think.  Yesterday morning's was less bullish and then the afternoon one ramped up again.  Wait till Taber takes the afternoon AFD again.  Certain ones in the office obviously care more about snow/mountains than others so you can tell which way the discussion goes based on the writer.

12 hours ago, dryslot said:

Socked in the mank all day here with drizzle and fog with a high of 52°F, And an over abbundance of stink bugs, The crows are having a picnic with them

51 at my place with 0.02" of condensed mank thru this morning.  I spent yesterday in the woods about 75 miles north of home, and the mid 40s with fresh east winds and no sun made things a dite chilly.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Last nights GGEM was ridiculous.

Perfect placement of stacked low to the NE of us.

image.png

6z GFS less robust but still great upslope signal. 

image.png

•  
  •  

I think that snowfall pattern is right. But at 10-1 ratios we're going to get a lot of snow that falls eaten up by warm and wet ground. 

Archived