Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

32 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

low of 36F was my coldest so far. Maybe bust 32F tonight?

36F is also my low.  I don't record accurate radiational cooling temps because my Davis is mounted up at my roof top peak.  Probably 25 feet off the ground.  I'm sure if I was measuring at the standard weather station height I would be at least a couple of degrees lower. Either way the petunias are still hanging on but tonight might do them in.

Watching all the storms coming into the NW US.  Some of that moisture looks to get in here eventually.  Perhaps our endless high pressure with quick fropa's will finally come to an end as we get into a more active colder season pattern.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

36F is also my low.  I don't record accurate radiational cooling temps because my Davis is mounted up at my roof top peak.  Probably 25 feet off the ground.  I'm sure if I was measuring at the standard weather station height I would be at least a couple of degrees lower. Either way the petunias are still hanging on but tonight might do them in.

Watching all the storms coming into the NW US.  Some of that moisture looks to get in here eventually.  Perhaps our endless high pressure with quick fropa's will finally come to an end as we get into a more active colder season pattern.

If you're taking temps at like 25-30 feet and get a 36F on a clear calm night, that's probably like 30-32F at the surface.  There can be a huge difference on some nights I bet.

I'm curious to see how the new weather station fares in tonight's cold. So far it seems spot on - low of 33 this morning, right in line with all the other PWS in the area - but there was no radiational cooling at play. P&C low says 25F for tonight, it'll be interested to see. With old station I probably would have gotten 18F lol

2 hours ago, alex said:

I'm curious to see how the new weather station fares in tonight's cold. So far it seems spot on - low of 33 this morning, right in line with all the other PWS in the area - but there was no radiational cooling at play. P&C low says 25F for tonight, it'll be interested to see. With old station I probably would have gotten 18F lol

you should post your cam to WU.

16 minutes ago, alex said:

33.8 with the deck glimmering in frost. Wintry appeal continues. :)

Radiational cooling is so hard to measure accurately.   I have gone out on a clear calm night with my digital thermometer and gotten readings that are a few degrees different just having the thermometer at different heights off the ground.  So don't get too discouraged if its not right in line with others in your immediate area.  The micro climates on calm nights are just nuts.  In the winter, on a windless night I can be 10F warmer  (or more) than just 1/4 mile down my hill.   

That's pretty crazy! My old station was definitely off though, which is why I'm testing this one. It says 29.5 now; the PWS in Twin Mountain, which is a bit lower elevation says 29, and the one by the slopes, about 200 ft higher says 33.7, while the one at the base of the Cog is at 30.3... so it seems about right, considering the microclimate differences you mention. So far I like this station, I just need to get it to talk to WU. 

That's pretty crazy! My old station was definitely off though, which is why I'm testing this one. It says 29.5 now; the PWS in Twin Mountain, which is a bit lower elevation says 29, and the one by the slopes, about 200 ft higher says 33.7, while the one at the base of the Cog is at 30.3... so it seems about right, considering the microclimate differences you mention. So far I like this station, I just need to get it to talk to WU. 

What are you using for weather software?

Holy frost this morning!

Low temp is a bit of a mystery but as wxeye said, hard to pintpoint such a microclimate-driven difference. My new PWS says 21; the one in Twin Mtn, a bit lower elevation, 22; the one by the slopes 27. The auto road is currently at 26 at 1600 ft, while I'm currently at 24 - so not far off...

The verdict - I think the new PWS is fairly accurate, certainly better shielded than the previous one... 

Archived